PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
It turned out I'm a bit kinda clencher piper'and now in order to save my pipes steams from having tooth marks on them I went

ahead and ordered these rubber bites,the result of my first few experiments with these bites were no but ennoying,I did found them clumsy,affecting negatively on the whole smoking experience,making harder to control my draw and cadence,tongue more prone to biting and further causing more salive to secrete.Now I wonder perhaps these little rubber gadgets are not as good as I firstly thought,Nontheless I'm noticing they're being pretty popular especially among American pipesmoker but much lesser degree here in Europe.Had anybody been experimenting same frustrations after the initial use of these bite mark preventing gadgets. Thank You for your comments.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I used them for quite a while, but could never get truly used to them. One by one, they all wound up being removed from my pipes. Sadly, I don't just "scuff" the stems. Ever seen an estate pipe with a hole in the stem? I'm that guy. :(

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I used them when I wanted to transition to not having to hold all my pipes, and just needed practice. I don't use them now though, too many issues with them. Wait, I take that back, if I'm doing something strenuous like yard work, I sometimes use them for a positive feel especially with a heavier pipe.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo pau - I share the same sentiments about the clunkiness of the rubber softies. A couple of Morley's members use food grade shrink wrap tubing - much thinner and pleasurable.
hp

les

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My pipes are all bent to some degree or another. I have "Softies" on a couple of the more weight forward pipes as I am a clincher, pipe hardly ever leaves my mouth, and softer bit is more comfortable. They did, and do, take a bit of getting used to though as they change the position of my jaw a little.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
I assumed I would not like them but gave them a shot and it turns out they're not that bad for me. I enjoy clenching with them. If I don't have them I feel the need to bite down harder to secure the pipe.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@chasingembers
I see the Captain has been crowned a King!
As for the softy bits, I pondered the idea and finally decided to just smoke my pipes the way the were. I likened them to the plastic wrapped sofa sets and lampshades the grannies would have to keep them new forever.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I have encountered no drawbacks to using them. As a clencher, who likes to walk or work in the darkroom when I smoke, I have grown to appreciate the extra grip.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have found that sliding them just past the button makes them more comfortable.
img_20170118_000757-337x600.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've used them basically since the beginning, and as a clencher I find that it makes it easier for me to clench the pipe as well as keeps me from damaging the stem. I too push the softy bit just past the button, and I've never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.