PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Always been a wet shaver but have always used cartridge razors since I began shaving. Mach 3 or Schick Quattro were my blades.
Being interested in straight razors when I went to a store that was selling some high end ones and found out all the care that goes into it and so on and I eventually gave up on it. I’m lazy, and I don’t want to ruin an expensive blade due to neglecting the little things.
However, I kept hearing that you could get just as close of a shave with a safety razor.
So I bought a very well reviewed one, Edwin Jagger DE, and let me say - best shave Ive ever had.
The first time I did knick myself a few times but watched a few vids and took my time and I’m just amazed how much better it is than cart razors.
I have sensitive skin and using a safety razor is easier on my skin and blades are much cheaper.
Glad I finally gave it a go, won’t be using the others again any time soon.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
A double edge safety razor will give you the second best shave possible :)
Close enough to a good straight razor shave, without the dedication to stropping and honing.
Although I've been sporting a beard for a while now, my go to was always a straight razor when I had the time or a DE safety razor for most days.
Don't forget to take time for a good hot towel before shaving and don't skimp on the shaving soap.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Yeah, The video I watched, the guy said not to go back over places if you don’t have leather on it. Reapply as needed for touch ups. I also invested in a good pre-shave oil and also in a non-alcohol based aftershave lotion.
Got huge approval from the wife also.
It is still so strange to me that a multi-blade razor would just eat my face up with razor burn but this safety razor is so much easier on my skin.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, on one hand, you only have one blade edge gliding over your face instead of what, 19? I sport a beard also, have been growing almost 2 years, but will likely shave again in January, just to see how fast it will grow back.
I actually got into DE safety razors for one of the reasons you spoke of. They're cheaper. I bought a nice razor from the Art of Shaving and a trial pack of their shave stuff before I found better cheaper options (Ain't that the case with anything?) I then turned into a collector finding I could get just as good a shave or even better with a 1965 Gillette Tech razor. All aluminum, so no rust. Also bought a 1924 Gillette Open Comb razor. Even when I was shaving more, it was still like once a week, and the I used the open comb first with a Feather blade, reapply my soap, then make my second pass with the Tech.... Mmmmm, smooth as a baby's ass!
It's worth it on just the savings alone. For cartridges it was like $15 for 3? For razor blades it like $0.50 to a $1.00 a pack for 5? If you buy on Amazon like I did. When I first started, I bought a bag full of like 20 packs on Amazon for $15.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
One of the joys of shaving is choosing a soap. You will also need a brush. I recommend this vendor for soap and other shaving related items. Go to Youtube to see a video on how to make lather and shave.
https://www.stirlingsoap.com/

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Do you need special shaving cream or just what you would use normally?
IMO, the one decision (other than not using a dull blade) that most affects the comfort and quality of a shave is the soap.
Stay away from that canned foam crap. A good soap, properly lathered with a good brush will keep the skin wet and help the razor glide smoothly.
And no, never go over a spot without lather...tips and tricks learned over many years of having extremely sensitive skin.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I use a shaving mug, I have several, one bought for me by my wife, the other by my mom, and several different types of soap. I have a badger hair brush (the best IMHO), but the synthetic stuff is still good. If you want to try it out, find your DE safety razor and get some good blades. My favorite is Feather, but they're super sharp. Sharpness differs from brand to brand so you can buy a multi pack like I did for just a few bucks. This will allow you try different blades to find what works best for your face. Some are more aggressive than others. This is an art to me, just like smoking a pipe.
I just toss the block into my mug, run some hot water over it, run a sink full of hot water and place my brush and razor (fully equipped with a blade....actually forgot to put one in one time and "shaved" half my face before realizing), then I make sure I soak my whiskers with as hot a water as I can stand. It makes the hairs stand up and allows for a better shave.
Now each person is different, I've done it with and without it, but pre-shave oil on your face prior to applying the soap can prevent the razor from causing any discomfort on those first few attempts, because you might have a learning curve in keeping the proper angle, but you'll get it. The oil can just help, but is not required.
Then shake some of the water out of the brush, not too wet, not too dry, and then put it on that soap and work up a good lather. Apply it nice and warm to your face and work it in against the grain. Really work it in because those bristles will stimulate your skin and also provide some exfoliation. Sounds un-manish, but sometimes it's just good for the skin.
Now you're ready to shave, and as directed above, NEVER shave an area without lather. If you need to re-shave an areas, reapply after you've made a first pass. I require at least two passes every time, just because my beard is so thick. Once with the open comb, then again with my tech razor to get the smooth shave result. Always shave with the grain, not against it is the rule, but I HAVE to shave against the grain in some areas to get a fully smooth shave.
Wipe up, clean up all the puddles and piles of soap and whiskers, then apply your favorite after shave. I heavily suggest non-alcohol versions unless you're skin is used to it, or you'll be screaming in the mirror like Macaulay Culkin. If you don't mind a little burn, I heavily recommend Bay Rum...my wife could eat me up after I use it. Also, in the inevitable event that you nick yourself, very cold water on a towel can stop your bleeding, or, you could always buy an alum block or styptic pencil. They burn a little, but help stave off that nick and stop the bleeding so you're not running around the house with tiny pieces of bloody toilet tissue stuck to your face or spotting up your favorite dress shirt.
In addition, please make sure you wash out that brush, buy or get a cheap stand combo if you can, Walmart sells a pretty awesome little package of bowl, brush and stand pretty cheaply. Now once you're done, also take apart that razor, wash out the scum, hair and soap, dry it off, and dry that blade carefully. This will ensure you don't collect any rust or buildup that hampers your shave. It builds over time if you don't do this and you won't have nearly as nice a shave. A double edge safety razor is a tool, an instrument of facial artwork, if you will, and when taken care of, will last you a lifetime.
I always shopped primarily with West Coast Shaving and really liked their wares. You can get everything you want/need from them for really good prices.
Forgive the super long post, but I do so dearly love the art of shaving and my razor collection. It's right up there with pipe smoking for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Based on avatars, I must be one of the few folks who shaves his whole face, at least for the last year! And I am fine with a sharp two bladed razor. And I use Clean and Clear, a J&J liquid that provides lubrication and cleanliness at the same time.
But shaving lost its appeal as a thing a very long time ago. OTH, my son in law is fascinating by neat shaving regalia. A blade holder for $100?!? Snazzier (much!) than my Gillette holder for a buck or two 60 years ago, but engineered the same.
Sacrilege! I also use a Panny Wet-Dry electric shaver sometimes.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The Jagger handles are really nicely made. I like the heft of mine. Every once in a blue moon, I’ll shave with my old adjustable Schick from the 1980s. It’s OK, but it feels too light.
To me, the best part is the shaving brush and soap. I have an Omega 636 Silvertip Badger brush, which is fantastic. While it’s not cheap, it’s a good value, IMO. It’s just the right size. So many of the cheaper brushes are just too small and don’t lather up well. This thing feels luxurious every time I use it. BTW, Al Boyd, who is president of the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club, makes excellent custom shaving brushes.
The tricky part is the soap. I’ve determined that I like soap better than the creams, although I can’t put my finger on why. My go-to soaps are Ogallala Bay Rum and Orange, which my wife loves the scent of, and Proraso Sandalwood or Eucolyptus and Menthol. I’d say that Proraso is slightly more comfortable and protective, but I alternate between them all the time.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I've used a Merkur,a German made DE safety razor for years. It produces a great shave but the blades are costly and don't last all that long. Every now and then I lose focus and slice my face...bleeds pretty damm good.
I would love to try a straight razor myself as I visit an old school barbershop and get a hairut and shave and love the shave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Q4GWfdgfk

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
First time was awesome, especially with the original green Proaso line-up when some gentlemen convinced me to give DE razors a try. While right now I'm sticking to a very cheap electric razor, I still savor the opportunity for a good wet shave, and I'm sure my ugly mug appreciates it too, even if I rub an alumn block over it. Maybe when I get back to the US I'll make the time for it again.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I used to be very interested and invested in straight razor shaving. I have a nice collection of razors, strops, blades, antique paraphernalia, mugs, soaps, lotions, oils, etc. A few years ago I kinda switched back to shaving in the shower with a dedicated shower steam proof mirror.
But I will NEVER give up my Boars hair shaving brushes and high end razor stems. It's just now I use Gillette blades with a brush in the shower. I ran out of time to spend on pampering my face, so I combine it all in to one grooming/showering event.
I use Proraso or Musgo shaving cream!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Safety razors were the first ones I used. Back then they were so ubiquitous they even made plastic models, of which I had at least one. My father used nothing else, and my grandfather used... well, he was a barber, so he used nothing but his trusty straight razors.
Eventually, I fell to the influence of the telly commercials and I ditched my safety razors for the cartridge ones and then the disposable ones, which I still use to-day. Going back to a safety razor kind of appeals to me, but my face is anything but smooth, and it'd be a total face slaughter; as it is, I shave under the shower because I cut myself 99% of the time.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
My dad reckoned he got the best shave using a safety razor whilst in the shower - humidity/steam and all that. Me? I just grew a beard when I went to university and I still have it 40 years later... ...albeit it does get trimmed more often now. :puffpipe:

sopsac

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
I've used double-edge cartridges (mostly Gilette Sensor) for decades. A few years ago I jumped into the whole safety razor thing. I've used Merkur and Feather razors, and a whole bunch of creams and soaps. My conclusion is that a safety razor cannot do the job as well as a good double-edge cartridge. Smoother, easier, quicker, more comfortable, etc.. At least for my face. That said, I will continue to use my safety razors once a week, for nostalgia sake.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yep DE is the way to go. I've got a Merkur and use Polsilver and Astra blades. I don't use soap or creams to shave with. I developed my own oil. Equal Parts BabyOil with Aloe, Extra Virgin Olive oil and Hawaiian Tropic Deep tanning oil. The oil doesn't clog pores and conditions the face as well as give maximum glide.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I switched to DE razors a few years ago. I've found some blades work better than others but I think it depends on the person and razor your using? I tried a sample pack from a site called Bull Goose. My favorite soap is Proraso original. Feather blades are super sharp and last longer in my opinion. If you do try Feather, slow down. Other items would be an alum block and witch hazel. I put the WH in a small spray bottle I found in the travel section at Target. My wife insists on club mans Bay Rum or Old Spice. Now that I've found what blades I like I order them in a 100 pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.