First time trying Dunhill Nightcap...Wow!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
I picked up a tin of this the other day at a local B&M. I had smoked Dunhill ciggs back in the day and I always thought they were tasty. However, due to the cost and availability I only smoked them a few times. It appears times have not changed too much. It was a pretty pricey tin compared to bulks around here. For nostalgia's sake though I picked up the Nightcap and tried it after work. As a guy who usually smokes aromatics I just have to say that the first few minutes of smoking this were equivalent to what I would imagine a forum friendly 10 minute multiple orgasm would be like. The sheer wealth of flavors I experienced were astounding. It was like peeling an onion trying to discern each one. I actually had to put the pipe down after about 10 minutes as apparently the nicotine in this stuff hits like a daisy cutter. Though afterwards, I went shopping with my fiance and it was wonderful to still taste the oils and flavors. I know this won't be an everyday smoke, but it will definitely be a few times a week around the end of the day smoke. If I love this, what other blends or brands should I be looking into? Preferably without the nicotine grenade. :)

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Awesome! Sounds like you're on your way to trying a lot of new blends and all the wonders that pipe smoking has to offer.
If you really liked nightcap, I'd start trying some other english blends. Off the top of my head I'd say go for some of GL Pease's english blends like Chelsea morning, Westminster, meridian, or quiet nights. Even McClelland's frog morton series. Or the over hyped, and thus, difficult to find Penzance. These all have a lower Nic punch if I'm not mistaken.
Send me a PM with your address, I might be able to send you some samples of a couple of these...

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes indeed mate, Nitecap is pretty good. I don't sleep much, so on nites that I am having a really hard time of it, I mix Nitecap and Kendals Kentucky together. It does actually help me relax.

Jul 31, 2012
@strave19
Kinda not on topic, but wow, I love your avatar picture! That's a beautiful pipe chest!
I also never tried nightcap, maybe one day I'll get the courage to test it, I'm just a bit afraid of the high nicotine level in it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nightcap goes well with any type of coffee, Diet Dr. Pepper or bourbon. And if somebody held a gun up to my head and told me I could only smoke one brand of tobacco for the rest of my life, well, I'd be reaching for that blue tin of Dunhill's finest.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Nightcap was my very first English and what an introduction it was! I still think its one of the best!

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I like Nightcap but like some others too have posted this type blend is what I prefer upon waking.

Some strong tobacco and a nice cup of coffee is an outstanding way to start the day.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Nightcap and 945 are on my TAD list. I'll get around to them eventually, although Nightcap sounds really appealing to me. I just ordered some Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding, so I'm hoping that one turns into a keeper.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Nightcap is one of my favorite English blends. The taste and complexity puts many $10 cigars to shame. I would take a big phat bowl of Nightcap over an Alec Bradley Prensado Churchill any day of the week (well maybe most days).
That cigar was rated #1 by Cigar Aficionado last year, but a bowl of Nightcap blows it away in depth and body. I would imagine that if there were not a steep learning curve for cigar smokers to tackle there would be pipe tobaccos competing for popularity.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I've this at the local B&M, maybe I oughta try it. Have yet to make any jump from aros so maybe this is a good shot. I've got a sample or two from herbindave of some englishes but haven't taken the plunge yet.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
My son bought a tin yesterday when we visited the local B&M. It was the first try at an English blend for me and "wow" is right! I can't identify all the flavors/tastes but there sure were some new-to-me ones in there. I did enjoy it after I got settled into it but the first 1/3 was a bit harsh. There was no bite and it was dry as bone smoking. I know it'll take a few bowls to really get the taste of it so I'll be looking forward to trying it a bit more.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to be a big fan when I smoked English blends years ago, but haven't smoked any since probably 08. I still have a bunch of 2002 tins left so maybe one day I will crack one. I know that Orlick began making it some years ago, does anyone know if it is as good as the old Murrey blend?

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
I used to be a big fan when I smoked English blends years ago, but haven't smoked any since probably 08. I still have a bunch of 2002 tins left so maybe one day I will crack one. I know that Orlick began making it some years ago, does anyone know if it is as good as the old Murrey blend?
If you happen to have way more than you would ever want and f you happen to get the urge to sell one of the old tins, Let me know please. :) I'm loving this more and more and would love to compare the old vs the new someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.