PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortonnewbie

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
so yesterday i took my little girl to dance class and said to myself, "self, why don't you take you kindle fire and your pipe". with great excitement and exuberance i grabbed my mardi gras tobacco, pipe, kindle fire... oh yes and my little girl, and off we went. after walking my daughter, hugs and kisses, all i could think about was lighting the pipe. as i started to light it i felt kinda strange and not sure how people would react. the first half of the bowl i was a bit cautious and uneasy but as i let worry and anxiety float away with the smoke it was nice to be out and about with my pipe.
am i alone in feeling how i did? if not lets hear about your first time in public.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
You are not alone in this, smoking in public is an art. I recently wrote an article on the subject because I often smoke in public.
Consideration for free-breathers is one of the character traits that give us menschkeit.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Last summer I was out smoking a pipe in a parking lot in back of a store when some fat lady walked past me and said

(yuk! a pipe, you would never kiss me) I just looked at her and said you got that right.

Reactions: TheWhale13

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Ace... :rofl:
I felt the same way at first, sorta ashamed, now I could care less.

I don't go around and blow it in their faces, I'm still courteous, but I have all the rights they do.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
The government wants us to feel ashamed when we express out rights and freedoms to smoke where we wish.
+1
I smoke outside whenever I want, as far as Im concerned its like sjpiepsmoker said... Im still courteous to others, but I have rights as well.

sinister

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2012
Central FL
I havent smoked in full out public yet around strangers, but since I smoke outside and mostly in my driveway, I get a lot of double takes and stares from people driving or walking by. Not really sure why people find it offensive or odd over someone who might have a cig or cigar hanging out of their mouth. I look at pipe smoking as refined and having a touch of class. ::shrug::

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
lol - I smoke my pipe where ever and when ever. I have no issues and maybe it's because I am a cigarette smoker. I respect others though. If I got a coffee shop and plan to read and play with the laptop while smoking I always wait until no one is around or if the people around me are smoking themselves. I then reach for my pipe and puff away with nice comments each time. In fact I am happy when I get the nice comments because in smoking cigs for two decades I have never heard "oh that smells nice" - So maybe it's where your smoking and if your smoking around folks who are stuck too close to you smoking that do not smoke. I never try to make it a issue. At the same coffee shops if the front area or outside seating area is occupied by non-smokers I park around the edge of the building and smoke there, out of sight and out of mind for them.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Don't remember my first public appearance so to speak....but I'm sure it was similar. Smoke while walking around, sitting on a bench, or whatever in public all the time now -- and it feels right as rain....well unless it is raining, then it's a bitch! :rofl:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I smoke a lot in public. I usually smoke while driving aournd town in my truck as well. Since I am younger and my arms are covered in tattoos I get a lot of funny looks. I guess when people see me smoking my pipe they probably assume that it is NOT tobacco haha. But, I work with law enforcement on a daily basis and those guys usually compliment my pipes and the smell so I will keep on smoking!

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I've been smoking in public almost from the start and can't remember hearing even one negative remark aimed at me or the pipe. The typical remark is: wow look he's smoking a pipe, it's been a long time since I saw someone smoking a pipe and Oh, that pipe smells good.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
I used to be self-conscious, now I just don't care what people think as long as I'm not violating any laws and no one is being forced to 'endure' it. There's a lot more grey in my beard now than when I started with the pipe though and it doesn't look out of place on me at this point I'm told. As for my first time in public, I think I went for a walk with the dog and as far as I could tell, no one seemed offended or even took note. To this day, I've only received one negative reaction. While walking around a huge outdoor flea market a guy commented that he didn't want me to come into his booth with "that pipe". To be fair it was an english blend with a fair latakia component. The year before though the same guy had told me how much he liked the smell of the cigar I was having as I came by his booth, so I still found his comment on my pipe kinda odd.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I've never smoked in public. Being a young (26) Asian, I get a lot of weird looks from my friends. I know I shouldn't care what others think, but I do. If I had a beard, it wouldent be a problem, as that's what is associated with pipes. But a baby face Asian just doesn't look proper with a pipe hanging out of their mouth.
I don't mind when they stare when I'm driving my car, but not with a pipe in my mouth.
Having to explain myself as to why I'm smoking a pipe, and how it's not pot or other drugs. They always think I'm up to no good.

Aug 14, 2012
I started smoking cigars at age 12, a pipe at 14. You better believe I got a lot of strange looks and comments. Guess what? Screw 'em.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I think I've caught more negative looks due to the fact that I'm smoking/drinking with my kids around. I don't smoke in the house for a few reasons, but when we take a walk or go down to the neighborhood cookie shop I smoke my pipe. Sometimes when we're just out front I like to have a drink and a smoke as we dink around the neighborhood (With my two year old you don't cover a ton of ground).
I just chalk it up to intellectual dishonesty. We pound 1934912 chemicals into our bodies daily and think nothing of it, yet a person can't enjoy a drink or smoke while his kids are closer then 500 yards.
My kids probably do more damage to their bodies from additives and food coloring then that random whiff of smoke that they catch once in a great while outdoors. Hell they inhale more smoke from my grill then my pipe.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
I usually will go the extra mile in public. Since we mainly go inside more places than outside I make it a habit of putting a really big dip of copenhagen when I'm in public. I also usually announce "well I can't smoke anywhere in public because all the damn smoke nazis want to live forever"

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
and my favorite phrase when asked by others why I do the above statement "Can't smoke because of your fears of second hand smoke. Unless your piss me off its pretty hard to get second hand spit" :)

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I walked the dog and have a pipe often every now and again I get a odd look from some place in the complex but all in all no one seems bothered

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
In my mind smoking a pipe is something that is a bit more sophisticated, a pleasurable relaxing ritual. But im sure many people look at me " a young guy " smoking a pipe like im up to no good. I get looks all the time when I smoke in public, usualy from older people. Most of the young people say wow you smoke a pipe the last person I knew who smoked a pipe was my grampa... cool. I do however make it a point not to bust out a pipe rite in front of a cop just to avoid a confrontation that may occur. other than that I stay away from people so as not to offend the non smokers and go about my business.

Status
Not open for further replies.