PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Wow! I have been only smoked aros up to this point. While I guess there is some controversy whether Plumcake is an aro, or a light English, I'll concider it my crossover tobacco. I have never smoked a tobacco with Latakia before, and while I know that there is not a lot in this blend, I am enjoying it!

captvoodoo

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
I agree it's quite good,

I am all over the board on my tastes. Aromatics one day. Latakia bombs the next. But there is something quite good about Plumcake! Call it a crossover or what you like, but the flavor if smoke properly is great. First time I packed a pipe with this stuff I was worried because of the posts I had read about smoking hot, tongue bite and such. It taught me to smoke slowly and really try to enjoy the taste of the tobacco. I was able to get almost an hour out of a medium size bowl and now smoke everything I have as slow as possible to try to experience the taste to it's fullest. This stuff really speaks to me. HMMMMMMMMM I think I am gonna go have myself a pipe full right now. Thanks!

captvoodoo

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
I agree it's quite good,

I am all over the board on my tastes. Aromatics one day. Latakia bombs the next. But there is something quite good about Plumcake! Call it a crossover or what you like, but the flavor if smoke properly is great. First time I packed a pipe with this stuff I was worried because of the posts I had read about smoking hot, tongue bite and such. It taught me to smoke slowly and really try to enjoy the taste of the tobacco. I was able to get almost an hour out of a medium size bowl and now smoke everything I have as slow as possible to try to experience the taste to it's fullest. This stuff really speaks to me. HMMMMMMMMM I think I am gonna go have myself a pipe full right now. Thanks!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My first Plumbcake was sent to me by Foggy along with other tobbacos and a beautiful Chestnut Dunhill Billard. I am smoking some now in a 3C Cavicchi and really like it a lot.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Cajun,
Ironically, what made me start thinking about Plumcake was that photo you posted of Foggy's pipe and the bag of Plumcake!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Man, you guys have inspired me. I just loaded up my L'Anatra poker with some Plumcake sitting in the gazebo in the back yard doing my best seaman impression. The birds seem to like it. Thanks.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I am waiting on an order from Smoking Pipes, and will have my first Plumcake to sample. I hope I find it as enjoyable as others on the forum.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I'm thinking if you really like latakia, but you're looking for something different, yet find the Frog Mortons just a wee bit too light, Mac Baren Plumcake just may rock your cradle.
It's on my next TAD list. I'm really enjoying burleys right now, but I'm finding blends with a seasoning of latakia to be interesting.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Plumcake is almost impossible to categorize, which is probably why so many people call it a "change of pace." That's what it is for me. I don't smoke it often, but I do smoke it regularly. I really do not like standard latakia blends, but the small amount in Plumcake is nice as one note weaving in and out of many others.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
A quick and related question: do you smoke this blend in an aromatic pipe or a Latikia pipe? I'm thinking this will be the next blend added to my rotation, but I'm unsure of what genre in which to place it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've smoked Mac Baren Plumcake and found it to be a decent smoke. I haven't smoked any in quite a while though. I have a couple tins of Germain Plumcake on the way. When it gets here I plan on smoking them both to compare.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
Plumcake is one great tobacco. I only smoke three or four tobaccos at a time, and Plumcake and MM965 are the only two that haven't left that group once.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I just finished some SPC PlumCake
That's a different tobacco. There are quite a few "Plum-something" tobaccos out there, come to think of it:
Mac Baren's "Plumcake"
Germain's "Plum Cake"
SPC "Plum Pudding"
C&D "Plum Pudding", "Plum Duff" and "Plum & Rum"
I've seen a few threads where the posters were discussing different tobaccos the entire time. Makes for some entertaining conversations, especially when the people smoking Germain's "Plum Cake" argue with the Mac Baren smokers about the presence of Latakia in the blend.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Plumcake bites too much for me. I like Iwan Ries's Dr. Bradley, or the Seattle Pipe Cub Plum Pudding much better. To each his own. But if you like Plumcake and have not tried Dr. Bradley, you should. It's a great blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.