PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Hi Guys, So today after debating with myself for weeks about pipe smoking,I crossed the Rubicon, walked into a tobacconist shop and ask for a savenelli, after talking with the shop keeper who refuses to sell me a savinelli saying I should rather try something cheap and see if I like smoking instead of spending a lot of money on a pipe, so I walked out with a Angelo briar ($20) pipe, a Virginia blend and a cherry blend.
I am what you might call a health fanatic, gym 5 times a week, practise martial arts twice week, and in between you might find me playing racket ball as well. And boy oh boy after my first smoke which I had to relight 3 times and lasted about 35 minutes I can say that yes it did have a calming effect on me.
My intention is to smoke a pipe one bowl per day after work or just before bedtime. and I cant wait to buy my first Savinelli Tevere Rustic 616 which is a work of art.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Hmm, I disagree with your tobacconist... My first pipe was a Sav, and it was probably the best first-pipe experience I could've had! Then again, in financial and practical terms, he does have a point. Enjoy it, breaking in your first pipe is an adventure!
I too have both a busy and an active lifestyle (job, degree, writing, ice hockey, ball hockey, traditional archery, cycling and gym!) and I savour the moments with my pipe, sitting quietly with a book or my notepad...
Like I said, enjoy, and savour every moment. I agree, the Sav Tevere is a nice series!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. While the shop owner had good intentions with your pipe selection you will be surprised by how much better a new Savinelli smokes for you. I also recommend that you spend a few minutes watching these videos from James Fox of Dublin. They are very good tutorials for new pipe smokers.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=james+fox+pipe+videos&qpvt=james+fox+pipe+videos&view=detail&mid=141516F30609D0B9D464141516F30609D0B9D464&FORM=VRDGAR

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Welcome to pipe smoking! Savinelli's are great pipes, odd that he wouldn't sell you one.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Thanks guys, I might be lucky,an acquaintance of mine might have an estate savinelli dry system which he can sell to me at half the price of a new one. He also mentioned like you guys that a cheaper pipe might not always be the way to go.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Your tobacconist is a very helpful guy, because he knows that it's very likely for a beginner to ruin a pipe, so the cheapest pipe obtainable is ideal for learning. Although a Savinelli isn't exactly expensive. Once you'd mastered smoking a pipe, then go back and get that Sav!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Good deal, welcome to the wonderful world of pipes and tobaccos. Pipe smoking is one of the most underrated pleasure there is. Hope you master this fine art.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Thanks Guys, Yes I did enjoy the Virginia blend, the cherry blend I have not yet tested maybe later this week, but it smells the best, I placed the tobacco (sealed in pouches) with the pipe paraphernalia in a small wooden decorative chest in my study and everytime I open it the smell makes me very nostalgic and takes me back to time when I was in my mid 20's (currently 36) and working as a tax officer in Oxford, all the old man pubs I frequented in my youth always had a pipe or cigar smoker puffing away.
By the way Savinelli's might not be considered expensive in most places but in South Africa it might be viewed as an unnecessary expense.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Welcome to the hobby. I agree that a cheap pipe is a good start. One to see if you stick with it, and two is a lot of people do tin their first pipe. Happy puffing.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Welcome! I couldn't agree more with you and Averagegent, it's a very relaxing and reflective pastime. This year I've become reacquainted with it after a long hiatus, and I find myself at work just looking forward so much to donning my vintage silk smoking jacket, taking my iPad, wife and dog onto the balcony and enjoying a leisurely bowl. :)

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Funny about that "tobacconist". Savinelli is far from an expensive, top-end pipe manufacturer although they do have a premium line or two, it's basically a mass-produced factory pipe of middling quality. The good news is I doubt there's any difference between a basic Sav and that unknown-name basket pipe he pawned off on you, so you made out ok. You will definitely want a second pipe because that "cherry blend" will almost certainly ghost whatever you smoke it in.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Well I had a second bowl today, married a little bit of the cherry blend with the Virgina blend and yeah it tasted rather smooth, One can assume that after a couple of bowls the briar will be broken in?
Shutterbugg, indeed yes a Savinelli might not constitute the upper echelons of pipe smoking but bear in mind that I live in a country where the median income is around $20K a year, and people like myself being middle class citizens are taxed close to 38% of one's income, this makes spending more than $100 not always justifiable although I do entertain my amusements.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
shutterbugg, I agree that Savinellis are not quite Dunhills, but I must disagree, they sure are good pipes! A bit better than the random basket pipe! :wink:

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
What an awesome day, I spoke to a collector / restorer and it seems that an Savinelli estate is mine.

thefur

Lurker
Mar 18, 2016
I had a similar experience as the OP back in Jan. I have never smoked at all, but quite a few in my family do, just none smoke pipes. I had always like the look of pipes and considered collecting them anyway but hadn't. Anyway, I told the guy I had no clue what I was doing so he hooked me up with everything I needed for under $40 and I have never regretted it.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
FWIW. I bought both of my Savs on ebay by searching for 'savinelli unfinished', 'series iii' or 'grezza'. They are real Savs with some fills/inclusions and are not stained but smoke great and are lower in price than your average Sav.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like others, I would have recommended you buy the Savinelli; however, the pipe shop person gains points for thinking of your budget. I don't know if you can buy online, but Savinelli also makes an economic line of Rossi pipes that derives from the Sav shapes. These go new online (like at smokingpipes.com) for as little as $39 for good smoking pipes. Take care of the "basket pipe" you bought. It may well be fair quality and give a lifetime of service as your first pipe. Eventually, if you decide to save up and buy a higher line pipe, that will be great too, but you can get abundant enjoyment out of thrifty priced pipes, new or "estate." Hope you continue having a good experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.