Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I finally made it out to my first meet up of The League Pipe Club (Denver, CO) at Delaney's Cigar Bar. I ended up being the first one there as I arrived about a quarter to 7 when it was scheduled. My time alone didn't last long as fellow forum member @Troutface showed up a few minutes later. He and I sat down and chatted for a bit before others showed up, one of whom I had talked to through the FB page Pipe Smokers Club.
image7-600x450.jpg

We all drank, ate and talked pipes and tobacco. We touched on cellaring, aging, different blends, legislation/taxation, @Harris' flake cellar, meter maids, local sports, tattoos, hobbies, etc. I think all 8 of us had a good time hanging out, packing pipes and smoking.
I brought along my Mitchell Thomas 7" semi churchwarden, Savinelli Oscar 413KS, T Polinski XXL Poker and the new Calabash. Everyone liked the calabash, took a look at it and asked plenty of questions. I was the lone representative of VAs with Three Nuns and Escudo. Everyone else brought aros or English. I sampled some Frog Morton Cellar, Sutliff Charlemagne and also some of Trouface's McLelland's 3 Oaks Syrian.
I think a good time was had by all as we smoked, chatted, drank and ate.
I'll for sure try to get back out again and hopefully become a regular face. It was a good experience overall getting to share in the camaraderie of blowing smoke together.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Hellz-to-tha-yes.
I had the meet up the other night with the guys in NJ while here, and I really had a blast.
I've been trying to get to the ATL area(where I reside)pipe club, but by schedule hasn't permitted. Hopefully I can make the July meet up.
These things are lots of fun. I'm glad you had a good time.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've been meaning to get out to the meet ups but haven't been able to. I made a point this month to make sure I could and it was cool to hang out with some fellow smokers.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I have always wanted to go, unfortunately Thursdays are bad for me. There was some talk to get another Denver group together about a year ago, but it seems that everything fell through.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Good on ya cmdr, glad to see you put yourself out there. It sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on your apparent new endeavor :)

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@Richard, yeah, apparently Thursday nights aren't great for most people's schedules and I guess the attendance doesn't pick up until winter. Thursday nights could work ok for me, just have to plan for it in advance.
@yaz, everyone was friendly and it was really nice actually being able to sit down with fellow smokers. For sure want to go back for more of that.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Sounds like a fun time had by all. There is a local pipe club here in Boise, but I just am unable to make it to their monthly meetups. Maybe when my wife is on her new work schedule at the beginning of next year. Then again, we will have a new baby then so probably not. Maybe in 18 years? lol

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Glad you made it out Corey. When Pete gets back from lounging on the beach in Costa Rica he'll make you an official highfalutin laminated name tag :clap:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Glad that you got out to see what some pipe fellowship is all about. The club that meets at our shop usually carpool to the bigger pipe shows, Chicago, Columbus, etc. and that's a great way to get introduced to that side of the hobby. I'd like to make at least one show in 2015 and I'd gladly travel with these guys. Congrats on your first meet up!

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Denver Represent :) I was able to make one of those well over a year ago but my Thursdays are pretty much locked in. Hopefully one of these days a night will open up. I have a ton to learn still and it's always good to meet some kindred spirits.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for the report, cmdrmcbragg!
I have always wanted to go, unfortunately Thursdays are bad for me. There was some talk to get another Denver group together about a year ago, but it seems that everything fell through.
I'm in the same boat - longstanding prior commitment that falls on a Thursday. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.