Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

First Time Lunting

(4 posts)
  1. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just coming off a 3 week stretch of being sick. Haven't smoked the whole time. Decided to take the dog for a quick walk and thought "Oh heck, its my only chance to smoke a pipe tonight".

So, I grabbed the closest thing I have to a beater- an old Dr. Grabow that I sanded and re-stained, and packed up something quick and easy- FMC, and hit the sidewalk with the dog. Very windy, maybe 50 degrees, dark, and quiet. A few things I learned:

1. My dog does not stop for lighting or tamping. So selfish.
    2. When I found Virginia Flakes, I found my place. As great as some of these Lat blends are- man give me my McC Flakes.
    3. Wind made the experience unenjoyable. Flying embers, no discernible satisfying smoke, and hardly any flavor. When I turned around out of the wind, I could suddenly taste the pipe again. And ahhhhhh....the smoke!
    4. I forgot how much quicker ribbon cuts smoke vs. flakes.
    5. I feel mature and distinguished smoking a pipe. Concurrently picking up dog doo negates that feeling.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotta top the old hand-warmer with a wind screen. They're cheap and help keep the tobacco from burning too hot and damaging the bowl. Get a couple as they are easily misplaced.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, wind screens are only a buck or two and are a worthy investment. For that money you will save a pipe in the wind. I always carry 2 in my bag, just in case.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy lunting with the dog. My dog is old and slow.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   railman, jdhowe75, mikethompson, olkofri, supdog, jaytex969, alaskanpiper, jojoc, laniromee, ray47, oldgeezersmoker