PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Bought some SPC Plum Pudding the other day and decided to have a go. At first the odor was a bit of a turn off, it reminded me of burning plastic or rubber and kept me away for a few days, in the end curiosity got the best of me. After lighting I was reminded of an incense smell from childhood. The taste was quite the opposite from the aromatics I'm used to but still pleasant smokier, earthy and salty. Can't wait to try the tin of Frog Morton that I got.
What's was your first experience like with Latakia?

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Something like this:
VomitingSmiley.gif

(I realized latakia was not for me)

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
lol- i agree with Juni, although I am not prepared to give it up just yet without trying again....for me, the aroma (even in the packet) was very smoky, almost burnt (actually reminded me of another smell I hate: the burnt fat aroma given off by Lapsang Souchong tea)....when I smoked it (diluted by one of my favourite tobaccos) it tasted bitter and resinous...emptied pipe out after a few minutes.
but it's worth persevering with, it may grow on you

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My first experience with latakia was 40 years ago, so I don't remember. :P But as a person whose taste preferences generally run to savory as opposed to sweet or salty, latakia based blends are right down my alley. :puffy:

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
yes, incense. like smoking the censor at a catholic church mass. while someone's sprinkling black pepper on your face. seems like should be used only as a condiment. couldn't imagine smoking it straight.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Latakia for me is wonderful, I really like it. My first experience was with a blend that had very little and it was quite an unusual tatse experience for me. The aftertaste lasted a long time, But for me it was not unpleasant. I have smoked a pinch staight up and I enjoyed that. We all have different tastes in what we like and dont like and thats the fun thing about pipe smoking, is the journey we take to find all this out, But every once in awhile we will hit that rock in the road.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
In my estimation latakia is a "graduate smoke". We all start off with berry cobblers, cherry shakes and peach melbas, and then our taste buds become more adventurous. Somewhere along the line a buddy or a tobacconist will recommend a more substantial smoke and the testosterone bells start to ring. My first experience was a tobacconist's sample of Proper English. Then I tried a sample of Squadron Leader followed by a sample of Commonwealth. Now, I have berries in my ice cream and exclusively latakia blends in my pipe. For those that complain about the aroma, my response is always that it is the scent of a man. Men don't smell sweet. Latakia, like manly sweat, means that a guy is around.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
it is the scent of a man. Men don't smell sweet. Latakia, like manly sweat, means that a guy is around
Stop that dirty talk right now, I'm having palpitations, visions and lustful thoughts ... have to go to sleep soon!

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
meh. if i want a smoking experience to test my manhood i'll have a pack of denobili and inhale, while breathing gunpowder smoke and snacking on habaneros.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
We all start off with berry cobblers, cherry shakes and peach melbas

hehehe

Speak for yourself tannen, I started out with burleys and straight Va's.

The berry cobbler and cherry shakes weren't tried until much later in the game and VERY briefly at that! (-;
PS Proper English and English Oriental Supreme were my first introductions to Latakia. Love at first light.

These were immediately followed by the smokey wonder(to me)that is Lancers Slices.
In all and subsequent encounters with the lovely Lat I have always loved the taste and smell. I've not smoked straight Latakia, yet. I will at some point though I'm sure.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I think I started preferring English blends pretty early on. It's that woodsy/campfire aroma and flavor... Now that I'm thinking of it, some Vintage Syrian may make its way into my pipe shortly.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I just tried Distinguished Gentleman. It's a crossover tobacco. I have to say I enjoyed it. I could see it being my "go to" tobacco.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Technically, there is a bit of Latakia in Plumcake, so that was my first experience. But it was only my second tobacco ever, and I can't say I noticed. Wasn't until I tried FMOTT that I really knew what I was smoking. I agree with the savory vs. sweet idea. Most of my blends are lighter and/or aromatics, but something darker is a nice change every once in a while. I love the flavor Latakia brings, and sometimes add a pinch of Vintage Syrian to something light to make it "pop".
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.