PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Finally got around to using my new master forge charcoal grill and chimney starter. Steaks came out way more done than I would have liked, but still tender. I think next time I will heat the grill up much hotter, and cook the steaks for a shorter period of time. Live and learn. Any advice from grilling experts would be most appreciated. :D

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Burn a nice hot wood fire in it, for seasoning, when you're ready to cook again let your coals be white hot, cook steaks 3.5 min on each side

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Also if you touch the fatty part of the back of your hand, between thumb and index finger, open hand is rare, closed hand is Med, a fist is burned.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
If I am doing steaks it's hot and fast to sear the meat. Chicken and ribs I go much slower with low heat. Don't forget to marinate your meat the night before.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
P.S. remember they are going to keep cooking when taken off the grill, another 5-10 degrees or up 1/2 doneness, med-rare up to medium.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Prof, how many steaks ? My chimney is pretty big. If it's just the wife and I, I've actually grilled right on the chimney. Fill it half up, light it, wait till there's no more flames, rack over it, bingo ! That thing will crank like a jet engine ;-)

I usually get my steaks (ribeye or filet) about an inch thick. Rub with a little olive oil (the good kind), salt, pepper. Wife steak, 2 minutes a side. Mine.. 1 minute. On a plate, cover with aluminum foil, let sit for at least 5 minutes, maybe even 10. Serve with herb/garlic butter, a baked potatoe or oven roasted sweet potatoe, some asparagus or broccoli... Yum !

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Next time you grilling get some corn on cob, fresh with shuck on, carefully peal back the shucks and remove the inner 2-3 layers, then trim the other end of the cob, slather it with butter, salt and pepper then rewrap it in its shucks, tie the end with bakers twine and throwem on the grill for 20 mins or so..good stuff

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I just throw the corn on, husks and all. It steams the corn right in its own jacket and the silk comes rights off when you shuck it after it's done. I've never really timed/measured heat for doing this so you'd just have to try it and figure it out. I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow when we have some...
-Jason

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
So hungry now.
I do Indiana sweet corn like that Lordnoble.
Usually takes 2 beers time wise.

joe912

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
+1 on lump charcoal. Most briquette style charcoal has coal dust in it as a binder.

Also, a chimney is the ONLY way to start the fire. Damn simple and very effective. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.