PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
So, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but my football season has ended several weeks early due to some issues. So, for the first time since I've started smoking the pipe, I have the opportunity to attend a pipe club at a local B&M near me.
Since this is the first time, I'm wondering what should I expect from the event. If any of you have been to Ye Old Tobacco Shop in Phoenix for their pipe club that would be wonderful to hear specifically about this one, but mostly looking forward to hearing about them in general

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Expect like-minded people. Folks will show off pipes and share blends. It’s not unusual to also meet cigar smokers and snuff users. Some folks may be trading or selling pipes and tobaccos.

Some may be enjoying a drink.
All will be happy you’re there.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Pipe smokers are laid back & good people. Added to the above, usually someone has connection to a blendor & they will have samples to try.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is always a good bit of tobacco sharing. I'm always careful to also make a purchase from the shop, as courtesy to them sharing their space. I predict you will enjoy it! Take some pictures and keep us updated. To my knowledge, no one here has mentioned a Phoenix club event.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
New Guy at the Pipe Club? Oh, you can expect the "typical" welcome...
new_guy.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: radrick96

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I attended my first a few months ago and walked in with very low expectations. I left with a big grin on my face because I had made a bunch of new friends who were just as eager as I was to talk pipes and tobacco. Even though I have to drive an hour each way to attend it’s absolutely worth it. I agree with the suggestion of making sure to buy something at the shop, these days finding a venue for a pipe club is tough and they are doing a huge favor to the group.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
It’s a great pipe club. Lots of nice people. Lots of great tobacco to try. They meet more often than the AZ Pipe Club. PM me if you want information on that club. They meet twice a month in Mesa.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Take more than one pipe.

Take some tobacco you like to smoke to share.

If you have a blend you don't like, take it also because someone at the meeting my consider it their daily smoke. You can always gift it to that person.

Buy something from the shop. Prices will be higher than what you spend on-line but that is the cost a B&M needs to charge to stay in business.
Being a regular member/attendee of the pipe club and buying from the B&M will be appreciated by both the club and the B&M. Make friends with the people working in the B&M. It can lead to email and text messages letting you know when special deals are coming or when hard to get tobacco blends arrive. They will also be more willing to make a special order to get what you are looking for.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The Ye Old guys are a really good group, I've been to several meetings over the years! The newer AZPC has some overlap but they meet on 2nd Saturday afternoon at Big Stick Cigar in Mesa. The main thing with any club that meets at a shop is to spend money. Big Sticks has a bar so it pretty easy to do. 8O

http://azpipeclub.com/

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
Thank you all for the incredibly helpful advice. Also, the meme's are on point today I see!
I play Semi-Professional Tackle Football (Defensive line and Tight End). My cousin and brother both also play on the same team as me, the SouthWest Stampede (also both on the defensive line).

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
Oh I forgot to mention about football as well, that the owner of the team I played for last season works for the Arizona Cardinals doing community outreach, and so I've done volunteer work for several of their kids camps, and have even gotten to meet some of the players. This weekend, me and my daughter are traveling to Prescott to help with a camp, and I'll get to meet Budda Baker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Hope the pipe club goes/went well. Probably pretty relaxed. Not much like the crazy trio in wheelchairs, I don't think.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I never heard of the AAF before I watched and enjoyed part of a AAF game last weekend that was coached by the ol' ball coach, Steve Spurrier. 8O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_of_American_Football

Status
Not open for further replies.