Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Gents,
I am new to selling on ebay, originally I made it to find pipes (so far I have purchased 2) A few days ago I decided it would be fun to try and put some pipes from my personal collection up and see what happens. The pipes I have up are 2 that I never smoke anymore and I think they would be better off in the hands of someone who will enjoy them more. Now, since I am new to selling on ebay perhaps you guys or gals can take a look at my listings and just give me some feedback on what you like to see when your on the market for an estate pipe. my ebay user name is delromatth and the title of the items listed are Estate Pipe- La Rocca Valerio Poker Pipe, Estate Pipe - Hardcastle Crown Bent Pipe.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Matt

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Wow, that's a big question. I'll list a few things, let you ask more, then let the others chime in. Here's a list of things to do:

Clean the pipe thoroughly. Ream it, go through the airways with a powerful alcohol until there's nothing of black showing up on a pipe cleaner.

Take good photos of the sides and bird's eye view.

Be acurate and literate in your title and description.

You may want to accept eBay's recommendations for pricing. These will appear when you start to type in the pricing boxes. Your choice.

That's all I can think of immediately, but these things work for me in selling pipes and other items.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

dwt63

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
When I'm interested in buying an ebay pipe, I like to see additional pics of the pipe w. the stem removed so I can see if it's screwed together, filtered, has a stinger, etc. Also, I like to see the shipping $ included. Just set your reserve price higher to cover it.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Listing is free up to 100 items a month I believe but they take a cut of the final sale. Paypal takes a cut as well. Outside of that I agree with what the other posters have said. I tend to ship economy in a padded envelope unless its a more expensive pipe.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
1. Make the best photos you can (after all it´s about advertising)

2. Write a thorough and detailed description and don´t spare the negative features (might spare you some hassle)

3. Be prepared to ship worldwide (it´s the buyers business if he is willing to pay for shipping and customs duties)

4. Accept Paypal

5. Start with a low price

6. Accept a possible low selling price like a man

7. Wrap up and pack your items securely (always keep in mind that the parcel might tossed around a lot)

8. Answer questions of possible bidders politely and quick

9. Accepting a return can sometimes be a lot easier on the mind than sticking to your rights

10. Don´t take it all too serious. After all you don´t have to do it for a living.
Enjoy and good luck!

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I reccomend taking the stem off when shipping. I wrap the bowl and stem seperate. Its peace of mind for me if the package gets bounced around. Some ebay pipes come to me but most dont.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Don't use a Reserve Price as it turns many prospective buyers off and they'll just move on when they see a RP.
As others have pointed out... GOOD photos and know what your shipping cost is before you post anything. Of course with a pipe you can easily opt for First Class rather than Priority mail as it will be well under 12oz. All in all, it takes awhile to get the hang of the whole thing but you'll get there. :wink:

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Never underestimate your buyer, expect the unexpected.

Take it offline, never start anything in messages unless absolutely necessary.

Be nice.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
You've received very good advice so far. I can add just a few tricks:
1. Take good photos.

2. Schedule your auction to end when most people will be off work. (In the US, Sunday afternoon/evening is good).

3. If you will only take paypal (and I suggest you do), state that clearly.

4. Take good photos.

5. I have no love for reserves. I start the auction at the lowest price I could stand to see it go for.

6. Take good photos.

7. Check your photos and description carefully (There's someone on ebay right now who has listed an Austrian Pipe Tool with a photo of a coat hanger).

8. I have had very little luck with "Buy it now" listings.

9. Don't lie. Not even a little bit.

10. Take the best photos you can. Best is a DSLR, tripod, macro lens, and ring flash or modeling lights. It's hard to get clear shots with point and shoot, but it's possible. You need both sides, down the bowl, close ups of the lip, nomenclature (if any), and stem separated.

11. Oh, and don't claim it's from a "Smoke Free House".

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
thank you all for the outstanding advice. One of my pipes just sold. As a thank you I upgraded the purchasers shipping to 2 day priority and included some extra goodies like tamper, pipe cleaners, and some of my favorite baccy for samples.
I understand that it is a risk to buy from someone such as myself who has no selling history feedback, so I figured he would appreciate the extras - I know I do when I receive pipe orders.
Thanks again guys!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm currently selling my first pipe on eBay also... My advice is take everyone's advice. You'll tend to stress about the auction from the moment it begins. If you figure out how to not do this, please let me know.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
iamn8 - All I did was turn my phone on silent and smoke a bowl of Dunhill Flake 8)
Goodluck man!

Status
Not open for further replies.