PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Based on previous postings about shaving, I contacted Lee of Lee's Razors at the website below:

www.leesrazors.com
Lee was very nice and took time to answer my questions and make recommendations on the various products he carries.
I selected an Above the Tie razor and Crystal blades to start with. Only had 1 small cut on the lower part of my neck when shaving yesterday for the first time.
I use Nivea Sensitive Skin shaving cream and Lee said it was very good so did not need any soaps or brush at this time.
The cost of razor blades will be going down for me which is excellent.
Lee is located in New York. I think he might even ship to other countries outside of the USA.
I hope this information helps other members. Please note that money saved on shaving can be used for pipe and tobacco purchases so you will have 2 areas of winning.

mrdaniels

Lurker
May 5, 2014
I recently started shaving with a DE Safety Razor to save money as well. I use a Murker 34C and have nothing bad to say about it. I am still trying different blades so I cannot comment on that just yet. I actually enjoy it more and it seems to give me a better shave than with my previous multi blade razors. I am happy with my decision for sure.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
I've been doing it for years and haven't looked back. I still use a Gilette Sensor Excel for travel, but I'm sure they'll soon try to force us into 3+ blade sets, then I'll use my DE when traveling.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I have been DE shaving for about 8 months now, I still have not had to buy anymore razor blades since then either. I have saved tons of money.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Glad to hear your experience went well! DE shaving is the way to go.
Lee is a very good friend of mine and is always more than happy to take the time to help his customers make the right choices.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
I too have recently switched over to DE shaving, and it's a better experience for me!
I am still trying different blades so I cannot comment on that just yet.
I haven't nailed down a brand of blade either, which is okay, they are cheap enough to try...

mzpuff

Lurker
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm two weeks into my DE journey. It's fun, and I'm working on my technique. Cheaper? Maybe in the very long run. Just like PAD there is RAD (razor AD), and just like tobaccos, there are soaps, creams, and all the other lotions and potions. I seem to have way too many hobbies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Yes Lee is very nice man, and always willing to help anyone out.

I order from him all the time. :puffy:

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Why does this thread not surprise me? My son gave me a DE razor for Christmas a year and a half ago. Using the DE takes patience just like the pipe. It certainly gives a better shave. If I am in a hurry I don't use it because haste usually results in... well you guys know.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Try the Feather brand blades-- made in Japan, simply the best! Been using them for 3 years now, and I've yet to find a sharper blade............

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Like learning how to dress for a formal engagement, how to appreciate good whiskey with dignity [I once gave a JW Green Label to a military man who downed it with a jerk of his head in under a second. I just stared in disbelief. Fifteen years maturing in Scotland and this is how he treated it?] and how to treat waiting staff, learning how to shave is one of those pre-requisites of manhood. Smearing canned goo onto your face and dragging a piece of outrageously overpriced plastic over it, is not the way a gentleman does things. There is something sad about a soap-scummed Mach 3 lying discarded on a countertop next to a can of "shaving foam" with a rusting top. But an orderly shaving regime, with a good stand, handsome brush, soaps blades and a real razor marks out a man of refinement, a cut above the marketing men who have done so much to ruin our lives. But one exhortation. Please do not proudly display your Acquisition Disorder. Having 25 razors and brushes out just makes one look a bit strange.

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
I switched to DE a few years ago and love it. I haven't been infected with RAD because I am completely satisfied with my razor, blades, brush and soap. Once you get those to your liking, it is actually an upgrade in quality that saves you a fair amount of money. Can't say that about many things.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I started DE shaving about a year ago. Found a 1962 Gilette "tech" for I think six bucks. I since have found a gentleman on the bay that turns out DE razor handles on his lathe - and lo and behold, he had morta. So, I have a morta handle now :wink: (I was hoping it would be morta from Ireland, where it is said that the ancient Irish used to dispose of the bodies of their enemies in the bogs - would have been eerily creepy and yet fun - but, it's Russian morta. Very dark, nice looking morta though.)
I'm still trying to figure out the best blades. I've tried several of them. Sometimes I use just the Wilksinson Swords, since they are available locally really cheap (made in Germany, do a good enough job.)
I read a lot of people liking the Feather blades from Japan. I might give them a go. My beard is pretty thick, so the sharpest of blades is probably something I should have checked out sooner. I keep a goatee though. I also shave my head (nothing like the feeling of the spring breeze over a freshly shaved head!), and my hair is super thick and fast growing... yeah, oughtta try Feathers I guess :D
I have a couple of vintage straight razors, but never got around to finding a person to bevel/hone/sharpen them for me. I have a couple scales of morta left from knifemaking to make new scales for them. Not sure if I am brave enough to shave my head with a straight - but, maybe I am stupid enough to at least try it once or twice.
Need to get a proper brush though, even a plain boar hair brush. My Van der Hagen brush works, but I suspect that even the really affordable boar hair brushes would do a better job.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Acquisition disorder? NO idea what you're talking about.
mike-sandoval-brushes.jpg

:roll:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've only ever used a DE razor. One of those old Gilettes that unscrews in 3 parts. I have a regular one and a shorty one for travel (well, until after 9-11 when removable blades were forbidden in carryon). Shaving soap and badger brush. Last blades I bought were called Derby, I think they're from Hungary. The Feathers are sharp but they don't hold an edge as long as the Derbys. For the last 4 years I only use a razor to clean up my neckline though. Otherwise it's an electric clipper once a week to keep the beard trimmed. That beats the crap out of daily shaving no matter what kind of pleasureable ritual you try to make it into.

Status
Not open for further replies.