PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I've seen the Connoisseur made by Ed Burak and most are huge, some are beautiful and some not so. I really liked the size and look of this one so I purchased it and hope it will smoke as good as it looks.
il_570xN.417402118_rm8q.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always heard he makes a good smoker, I have not seen many in my size range either. He makes some wild looking shapes for sure. Yours is very nice looking hope it smokes great for you.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
I like the Burak pipes I bought from his NY shop, they were all seconds and very cheap. His first were beautiful but to pricey for me at the time. I think the pipe the op bought is beautiful and I hope it smokes as well for him as mine have for me.

Dec 24, 2012
I have also heard he makes a great pipe (well, actually I believe he only designs them). I have heard some suggest though that his stems are a bitch to keep free from oxidation (much like some of the older English pipes), which is why I have avoided them. I love the pipe you chose though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Magnificent grain and a superb sense of balance in the design. This isn't a traditional shape, which

is part of it's distinctiveness, but if I had to assign one, I'm not sure if I'd call it a tomato -- perhaps

it's a little too flattened -- or a pot. Happy smoking!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I got it through an ETSY Store, Bard's Vintage Briars, the cost of ownership was $175 which I felt was a good value, it has a pit which to me is of no relevance as long as it smokes well, supposedly there is some wild fat birds eye on the bottom and I went back to see, here is the bottom.
il_570xN.417402004_59pg.jpg

Stem looks great s the pipe has been retro cleaned and salt with alcohol
il_570xN.417408211_gvo9.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Very nice, banjo. I've read that Burak would never allow a mere sand pit to be filled or rusticated. Part of his design philosophy was to let the natural briar stand on its own and thus all of his pipes have more or less the same, natural color.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Beautiful pipe! If I had to define the shape, I'd go with a squashed tomato. On the subject of stem oxidation, what I understand is that the vulcanite stems had a higher sulphur content and were prone to oxidation. The German ebonite that most guys use today is much less prone to oxidation...and bloody expensive to buy...

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well I gave it a test drive with Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls which came straight from a freshly opened tin. Generally I dry the coins a bit prior to folding and stuffing but the width of the bowl chamber is large and the depth not so deep so I thought I'd try it and to my satisfaction it smoked dry and cool, there was a bit of wet dottle but nothing to fuss about, it should do well with properly prepared flakes and coins. The opening to the stem is rather skimpy but once the pipe cleaner finds the center it's a smooth run straight through, all in all a very happy camper. I also found myself staring at the birds eye on top of the bowl, mesmerizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.