PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinister

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2012
Central FL
For many years, Ive owned and ran my own business. This gave me the luxury of working from home and of course enjoying a pipe most anytime I wanted. :D Recently, I decided to make a change (for the better... i.e, more money) and joined back up with a long time friend in the same industry to help him expand a new line he is doing with his business and closed my shop.
My new job takes me out of my house and into a huge warehouse which we are moving into.....or I should say airplane hanger...it's that big. Since we are just moving in, Ive mostly been the only one from my business in the warehouse setting up my equipment for my job while everyone else is still located at our old location. Im often the only one around and of course, Im free to open up the huge bay doors, light up my pipe, and enjoy my day.
Right now we share the place with another business, so there are occasionally other people around working on their own projects. Ive really never smoked yet around others who I dont know and only with a few friends. Since I smoke outside, I typically get the odd looks from people driving by or walking their dogs. So the other day, I had some downtime at work and packed up a bowl and decided to walk over to say hi and see what these guys were working on.
After the initial "hello", one of the guys immediately mentioned that he looked over and saw me lighting up and almost fell off the ladder thinking I was doing what everything thinks youre doing when lighting up a pipe. I laughed and said nope, not into that and it was just regular tobacco. By then I guess both the guys working got a whiff and started in on how good it smelled and the memories it brought back of their grandfathers. I was enjoying some Molto Dolce which I gotta say is delicious. We actually got to talking about pipes and tobaccos for a bit which I thought was pretty cool.
So, overall I had a good experience with my first time being around total strangers with a pipe hanging out my jaw. Figured Id share my experience with you guys! :puffy:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Cool story. I stick to smoking my pipe in my basement, so no one ever sees me. I'm hoping to fence in my yard and add a new deck next year and take it outside when the weather is nice. I'm surrounded by neighbours who smoke MJ openly (Canada, eh?), so I'm really not concerned what anyone around me will think of it...

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I take a pipe with me and smoke it wherever I want to, baring inside of public buildings, schools and hosptials, of course. (Damn you, State of Maryland!)
Unlike cigarettes, I've never had one Smoking-Nazi ever complain about the smell of my pipe smoke.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I get a lot of high school age kids looking at me when I'm driving and smoking. Especially when I'm relighting!!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I actually smoked for the first time in my car. It was really interesting because I got some funny looks from people while I was sitting in my car with a pipe hanging from my mouth puffing away. Ha ha, seeing how the State of Washington just legalized Marijuana I am sure that is what they were thinking. But nope, I am not into that just some plane good ole Tobaccy for me!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
The idea that everyone that smokes a pipe smokes marijuana is infuriating to me. I usually smoke at home, but now have a nice two pipe bag, where I can take it with me.

Jason

maduroman

May 15, 2010
for the most part here in kalifornia i wander in and out of stores alla time with my pipe with few dirty looks but it is generally out most of the time.
however i have had people jump on my about smoking in a park, walking past a school, sitting on my own porch and standing outside at the dmv.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
sitting on my own porch
:crazy:
sheesh! Careful out there on the left coast of kalifornia, maduroman! Are tobacco taxes super high like here on the other left coast (NY)?

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
I still have the first meer I bought from a local B&M over 20 years ago. I knew nothing about pipes then and when I bought it the tobacconist said that it would turn the color of the tobacco that I smoked in it. I said "Green?" and he didn't laugh. It has been many years since that pipe has had green tobacco in it and it has developed a nice tan patina. I like to use that pipe while driving because it is small, light and bent just right to require little effort to clench. Yes I get strange looks especially when doing relights and to make matters worse I have long hair. I keep waiting for the day that some stoner will pull up next to me and ask for a puff... Go for it!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Voorhees, I have to agree. It's especially problematic for young pipesmokers shopping in B&Ms. They never seem to trust us or take us seriously. The one in my college town is actually very nice and accomidating, but I've been there around 50 times in the past 1.5 years buying tobacco and cigars.

In relation to the thread, congrats, that sounds like a good positive experience. I've had a few of those, but I also get the dirty looks from visiting parents on campus, which is almost as enjoyable :mrgreen:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Nice story thanks for sharing it. I drive around and go out with my pipe and never get strange looks. I am an old guy so people assume I am smoking tobacco in my pipe.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Good to hear a positive reaction. I usually get positive reactions when I have a pipe in public. Typically I fire up the 1Q when out in public and get comments of "I smell roasting marshmellows." or people whill comment on how nice the pipe looks.
I have had a negative reaction on two occassions though. Once a lady and her daughter were being seated at the table next to me outdoors at a Buffalo Wild Wings and as she saw me puffing away she said, "Can we be seated away from the smoke? I don't want to be breathing it in while I'm eating.". The other time was at the same BWW some lady walking by was obviously fake coughing as I was puffing.
I'm wanting to smoke more in public, but it does get a bit tricky. So many places that don't allow smoking these days. That's one thing I envy about pipe smokers who were around for the 70s and earlier. You guys could puff practically anywhere you felt like having a bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.