PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Last night I popped a tin of Tuskegee Airman that had been mellowing in the cellar since December 2014. I was expecting to find some Lat smokiness in the tin note, but it was not there. I found a strong Perique pluminess instead; to my nose it was reminiscent of a freshly-opened tin of Burley Flake #1, but with more sweet, fruitcakeish notes. I crumbled a bowl's worth and let it air-dry for a couple hours on a plate. When loading the bowl, still no smoky smell.
When smoking, it tasted like a sweet, almost aromatic version of a good-quality VaPer, with a little tanginess of Oriental popping up here and there. Not at all bad, but not at all what I was expecting. Even though I was smoking it in a pipe heavily ghosted with Lats past, I got no smokiness whatsoever.
I've heard people say that if OGS has Perique in it, it is only wiped on the bottom of the tin. That is the impression I got of the Lat content in TA; if it is there, I sure couldn't tell. Did I just get an off batch, or is this standard with TA? Even though I like heavy Lat bombs, I can still pick it up in small quantities in other blends. Any feedback would be appreciated.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Your impressions of Tuskegee Airman seems to be what mine were, almost exactly. I was expecting a more traditional, what we call, English Latakia heavy blend. It took me a while to figure it as a VaPer with some Latakia and a kiss of Izmir. I did like it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It's very tasty stuff, and if you like a good VaPer, you will probably like it very much. I was just wondering if my taster was off about the Lat content.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Well, when the Izmir peeks in you will get a sourish note from it. But as I like it in both Red Carpet and Sunday Picnic it is no problem for me.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just really appreciate that C&D did a whole line honoring black servicemen. Really refreshing in a very predominantly white pipe community.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I would not say from my experience that the pipe community is disproportional "white". Perhaps online one might assert this but even there I don't think so. Heck, were it not for black pipe smokers I would be smoking my pipe alone at the local (smoking-allowed) taverns I sometimes visit. Fortunately I seem always to luck out and have some friendly company to burn some tobacco with while blowing the froth off a pint or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.