PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
After seeing all of the inspiration for custom tampers around here, I decided to make a couple out of some curly maple scraps I had left from one of my guitar builds. I'm just starting the 2nd one, but here's a couple pictures of the first one. In a couple days I'll give it a quick wet-sanding to smooth the lacquer a bit but other than that it's all finished. The brass is a cut down .30-.30 shell.
2074820650039328748S600x600Q85.jpg

2119693430039328748S600x600Q85.jpg

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
:worship: Nice work aaronbrill! Tamper making is addictive I'll say that. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
Thanks guys! Well here's an old picture of the guitar that the scraps were from, it's a 27.5" scale baritone guitar with an ash/maple body and a maple neck with ebony fretboard.
2045509440039328748S600x600Q85.jpg

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Good looking guitar and the tamper is pretty awesome....

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for the compliments everyone! I know I'll be making more of these, there's no shortage of wood scraps laying around the shop :wink:
@johncorosz: yes, I'd be willing to work out a swap deal but I don't want to break any forum protocol since I'm still pretty new here. As I make up a few more of these, maybe I'll hit my 50 posts and then we'll be all set!

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
That is a very nice tamper indeed.... .

If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion: for your next tamper, cut about a third of the shell off and do not use lacquer of any sort. Buff the wood and apply wax only. That will allow natural coloring due to use.... . Just my 2 cents.... .

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions, I did experiment with a beeswax finish on another scrap but I didn't care for the feel of the wood afterwards. Is there a special way of applying it that would eliminate some of the waxy feel, or is there a better type of wax to try? I also thought of doing a light tung oil finish to seal the stain, but the wood on this one begged for a deeper finish to really make the grain pop. I used a hand-rubbed alcohol based stain to build the contrast similar to what I expect is done with pipes. What type of final finish is typically used on a pipe?
I did trim a good deal of length off the rifle cartridge using a cutter similar to what you pictured, but I could certainly trim extra length off to make it more aesthetically pleasing if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.