PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Just finished my first smoke on my new Savinelli Trevi Rusticated (320 KS) . It’s has a nice big bowl, feels good in the hand so no complaints there . I loaded it up with some Dunhill Night Cap and proceeded to smoke away . So I am not exactly sure what the issue may have been but I noticed the taste of my tobacco was on the bitter side . Is this because the pipe needs to be “broken in”? Now the pipe does come with a carbon coating , I guess it is, from the factory as a seal.
So I am not to sure what would have effected the taste ? Any thoughts ?

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Hope that’s all it is because the thing smoked for over an hour . Will give it a few bowls and hope that clears things up

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I get a bitter taste from almost all new pipes, but it goes away pretty quickly.
Some people recommend smoking Carter Hall in a new pipe to break it in, as apparently it builds cake really easily. I've always smoked the blends I intend to smoke in the pipe to break it in, but I can see not wanting to 'waste' one's good tobacco when it's all but guaranteed to be a sub-par smoke.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I’ve experienced this recently in one of my new pipes.

I noticed a slight sour taste. I’m just going to keep using it and getting it well caked.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Swab out the shank with q-tips and alcohol, I bet there is a bit of stain in there.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Damn I love my 320’s. Outstanding smokers for sure. (Thanks anthonyrosenthal74)
OP, I experienced the same exact thing. Just gut through it for a few more bowls if you can. I promise it will be worth it.
Hmmmm... Might need to go take a look see at what’s available. The 320 always kills my attempt at taming the PAD beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.