PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I just spent 90 minutes smoking 30 minutes worth of Peterson Irish Flake. The tobacco arrived yesterday along with a number of other new-to-me blends. When the label suggests it's for the experienced pipe smoker, I figure it must be there for a reason. So I smoked slowly. Let the pipe go out rather than use the freight train approach.
An interesting first smoke:

1. Absolutely no tongue bite for such a strong tobacco

2. Not much of a range of flavors, but it was only my first smoke, and in a new pipe as well

3. Pretty solid nicotine hit, but C&D Briar Fox has a bigger bat from my perspective
I can't honestly say I enjoyed the tobacco. I didn't dislike it. It was just...there.
Seeing as I have the rest of the tin to go, I'll have plenty of time to get to know the stuff better.
But I'm thinking I'm more of a Virginia and Latakia guy. Time will tell.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I quite enjoy Irish Flake on a once-and-a-while basis. It is definitely a meat and potatoes kind of tobacco for me, just a steady, solid, no nonsense flavor and lots of nicotine, deep and rich. I enjoy it with a nice stout, usually with the weather gets crisp in the fall. Keep trying it, it'll grow on you.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Six hours after finishing smoking, the nicotine is still coursing its way through my veins. I take back what I said about Briar Fox having more of a kick. This is one serious tobacco.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I can only imagine the nic hit from irish flake, I was smoking University flake which is supposed to be much lighter in the nic department and that was hitting me pretty hard today.

Mar 1, 2014
It's funny how as far as I can tell the descriptors "deep" and "rich" describe attributes of tobacco flavour that I find entirely negative.

I felt the same way about sour cream for most of my life too, until I was forced to eat it with every meal for a month in a foreign country.

Trouble here is it's doubtful that I'll ever be forced to smoke dark flake tobacco for any extended period of time.

I'm happy enough cellaring Frosty Mint.
I can definitely agree on the nicotine content, two bowls in a row was almost as much as a cigar.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I know this is unimportant, but spending the requisite dollars on tins rubs me the wrong way. Escudo is the exception. But given the Lakeland lineup of potent tobaccos, and there must be about a dozen, I get plenty of choice and spend half the money; which judgment has nothing to do with the quality of a tinned only tobacco:
Dark Flake, scented and unscented

Brown rope

Black rope

Dark Birdseye

Kendal KY

Kendal Dark
to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.