PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks to Beefeater33 (great guy to deal with, by the way) I was able to have my first smoke of Condor plug.

When I opened the small green pack I got my first sniff of what smelled very much like silage with a floral lavender like twist. Having spent some of my youth on a dairy farm the smell of silage was unmistakable. I loved that fermented odor.

I cut off a few thin slices, rubbed out the tobacco and let dry for a few minutes then packed the pipe and lit it up. The floral Lakeland smell immediately came through, however the fermented notes faded far into the background.

I found Condor to be a very good smoke similar in many ways to the G&H Lakeland offerings. Nic was at what I would call medium. The tobacco dd require a few relights early on, then burned nicely.

If this tobacco were sold in the US I would be a frequent buyer. Its very good. Unfortunately it is a bit cost prohibitive and I enjoy the G&H offerings just as much.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Glad you enjoyed the little brick lawmax. I have only had the ready rubbed and thought it was very good. I have several of the plugs but have not had yet, trying to finish up the ready rubbed first. Have read the plug is a little stronger, in both taste and the nic hit. Yeah it's a shame it's not sold here in the states. It would generate a lot of sales here

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I'll have to try that one someday. You were very descriptive. Thanks for the imressions

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've grown quite fond of Condor Plug. I usually order it from James Fox in Dublin, Ireland. The cost is a bit under US$10 per plug and their service is wonderful.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks for the info papipeguy not as bad on the price as I have seen.

My second smoke reaffirmed my opinion of the plug. Good stuff.

Mayfair70 sucks to have stuff break.

I spent about 12 years making O2 sensors with DENSO mfg.

Amazing that every sensor has a performance test ran on it. Its called a "model Gas test" and the data is saved into a database. DENSO makes very good O2 sensors.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Thanks for the info Pipeguy !! That is a nice website.
Lawmax- I saw good reviews for DENSO. Fortunately or unfortunately, Bosch was cheapest.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The floral Lakeland smell immediately came through,"
Thing is, Condor isn't and never has been a Lakeland tobacco, it's an Irish plug made in the traditional way that only Irish plugs can be.
The Lakeland essence you refer to is unique to the two Kendal blending houses and is nothing at all like what is used to make Condor.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it though. Also, for what it's worth, it is expensive to buy even in Ireland!
Regards,
Jay.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Was fortunate enough to get a couple of pouches of Condor Original Long Cut when my brother went to London.

No question about it being addicting. Wonderful smoke.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Pepesdad, the Long Cut (flake) is a glorious smoke itself but if you are able to acquire the plug version then expect more intensity of flavours...a really luscious smoke :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
mawnansmiff, (Jay) Thanks for the tip. The Long Cut is truly delicious. I've rationed out the flakes and use only a small bowl to get the full enjoyment.

Gonna have to get some plug, for sure.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love GH&Co and they make some of my favorite tobacco blends but Condor Plug beats anything they've put out... in fact, Condor in any form beats out anything for me. Tis my hands down favorite tobacco blend and totally worth the price of importing it here from Ireland, in my opinion. I absolutely love the stuff and have more of Condor in my cellar than any other tobacco and every payday I buy another 10 pack of the plugs cause I'm pretty sure it's not going to available for much longer. The problem is, ya just never know, it could be here one day and gone the next like Erinmore & Velvan Plug. There is nothing else like it... nothing!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The Lakeland essence you refer to is unique to the two Kendal blending houses and is nothing at all like what is used to make Condor.
I know this term really bothers some people but it seems to be understood by most as tobacco blends that have a floral essence added and there most certainly is some floral flavorings in Condor. It's just like blends containing Latakia, we call those English blends no matter where they were actually made. C&D offers several English blends but they obviously aren't made on English soil... My point is, it's only a reference point and by no means do I think most people use that term to mean the place where it was conceived and produced. Overall I think this is pretty much understood. It's definitely different than those of the Gawith house as their essence seems to be more of a perfume flavoring than a singular floral note but the term still makes since to me. Lakeland Essence = Floaral essence (even if it was not conceived in the Lake District). I didn't come up with the term, it's one of those terms that has just come to fruition in the pipe community.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I had my first smoke of Condor (Thanks Beefeater33!). I have really been digging Plug tobacco as of late. This is definitely one I enjoyed

As far as Lakeland essence... I didn't get that at all. I recently picked up some GH Bosun cut plug and the essence is so strong I am not sure if I can hack and it.

I have to get around to dedicating a cob that I am willing to give up because it is so strong.

As far as the Condor it was just a mellow, strong smoke, not overly topped, but unique.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have 1000 g of the plug in the cellar but don't plan on buying more, given the price. The plug is a lovely smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.