PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I quit smoking 13 months ago because of heart problems. Yesterday I made an exception. I loaded a Dunhill #1 Crosby with Troost and smoked less than 1/3 of it. I must say it was among the more memorable few moments of my life. To say it was a good smoke is a severe understatement. It was sublime. A pipe unsmoked for over a year is remarkably good. And having no tobacco left in my system caused me to get a bit high--smooth, mellow, floating. Troost is not a great tobacco but it is good. I did not want to waste a can of rare aged tobacco for a short smoke and I had some pouches of Troost. Wonderful. Will try a follow up smoke in a few months.

Reactions: litup

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Foggy, thank you for reporting that exquisite experience. Is No. 1 one of your Dunhill princes? I'm on probation myself still clearing the aftereffects of a slow flu bug (I think). I don't expect quite the rush you had, but it could be pretty good.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I did not want to waste a can of rare aged tobacco for a short smoke and I had some pouches of Troost
I don't mean to sound rude by asking this, but since you haven't smoked in 13 months, and due to the health issue, you may not smoke on a regular basis again ... why not enjoy the best you have? Heck, open it, that's what it's made for, your enjoyment even more so since you can't indulge in the habit that often.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
foggy, glad to see you got a taste and enjoyed it. I know your health is not great but is the extra time you MAY get worth giving up your pipes? Here is my favorite quote and it is how I live my life.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter Thompson had his ashes launched in pyrotechnic shells, if I remember correctly. His family seemed totally on board.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I have had recently an inverse experience. I usually smoke one pipe per day in week days (no time for more). In late February I became ill and had to stay home for two months. My pipe smoking went up (around five pipes per day). Three weeks ago I returned to my usual life, and had to return to the one bowl a day pace. I can say that I get far more pleasure from that single bowl than from any of the multiple bowls I could smoke every day while at home. I would like to be able to smoke more, but there is something to be said about restraint. My meerschaum has markedly improved its coloring during the weeks at home though. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mostly do a bowl a day, but I've had multiple bowls on a number of occasions. I feel like I pay better attention with the one bowl. It's what some call mindfulness.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For folks new to Forums, foggymountain is the dean of Dunhills and White Spots on Forums and was selling pipes at pipe shops in Manhattan when he was a teenager in the 1950's. He has the long view on history in pipe smoking.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Congratulations on being able to enjoy a smoke.
I get busy and often there will be times when I may not smoke my pipes or cigars for quite awhile. I often find that when I do indulge,the experience is particularly wonderful. That happened earlier this week when smoking cigars. I suspect that the break gives my senses a rest and they are sharper when I do smoke. I hadn't had a cigar for 3-4 months or a pipe for a couple of weeks.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
This is my theory!...
295UyNT.jpg

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Glad you're back. Like others have said take it easy. I dont think a bowl every couple of months would be an issue, but ask your doc just to be sure. All the best

Aug 14, 2012
cigrmaster: Happy to hear you have recovered. I am already used up and worn out. I intend to resume heavy smoking and some drinking when death seems imminent. madox: I am saving the best cans to sell to you guys. I have enough for years of smoking for myself.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I am already used up and worn out. I intend to resume heavy smoking and some drinking when death seems imminent.
Nobody gets out alive! good on you brother... :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.