Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
The last few months I've been obsessed with making pens. Seemed to me like a good introduction to the lathe. I was going though my scrap box today and the figured what the hell I'll try and make a tamper. I glued some scrap pieces together and drilled a hole through the middle to fit my mandrel. I turned it to some sort of shape that struck my fancy. Really I had no plan going into it. I pulled it off the lathe and glued a bolt into my now half done tamper. When the glue set I took it to my belt sander and rounded off the bolt. I also did some more shaping before sanding the whole thing by hand. I started with 150 grit and went up to 600. I then waxed it with Dactur no buff wax. Its not perfect but The plan is sound.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks!
@Fool yes that is acrylic in the center. The top is purpleheart and the bottom I think is pau rosa.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very snazzy. Maybe try a longer more slender version for deeper bowls. You really brought the different materials together in a good way.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Tamps seem an oft forgotten and under appreciated tool. Love the cool custom ones like that. Great work!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yes very nice. I've been playing more with the lathe too. I'd like to take some classes as right now I'm just winging it, but that is still fun.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I'm doing the same. I should probably take a class as well,expecially on tool sharpening. This one was just over 2 inches long. I plan on making a longer one in my next attempt.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Nice for a first shot, I've no skill in that area at all so I'm always easily impressed!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice tamper ! I spend more of my shop time making tampers than anything else now days.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Te wife buried my lathe behind a bunch of crap and I can't get to it. I wanted to make a couple of Tampers so I checked out my drill press to see if it will work. Well it does for dowels for stock. I can go up to 1/2" and create limited patterns.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Nice start. Watch out for the dust one some of the exotics. They can get nasty fairly quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.