PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
I'm going to buy my first savinelli pipe this weekend. I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on the model/line I should try first? I know I'll get a bunch of different replies but that's ok, just curious on what has worked best for all of you. I really like the look of the savinelli honey line but havnt found many reviews on them. Let me know what you all like!

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
My first Savi was an Obi-One pipe in a 114KS size. Great pipe - they have a few Obi-Two's I think left on Smokingpipes - under $80 and smokes like a champ. I have both an Obi-One and a smaller Obi-Two billiard's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Savenelli line is pretty vast, so you are asking for a long essay, but here are just a few suggestions from me. I love the unfinished Savenellis, currently offered by pipesandcigars.com for about $49.99 in a variety of shapes. These are plain looking but finish to a golden glow over time. Another point, these unfinished pipes, as well as a few other lines like Oscar Lucite are filterless. When possible, I like that, although I have two Savs with filters that I smoke with an adapter or with nothing, but I like the pipes designed filterless. Finally, you can peruse the Savenelli line endlessly, and I wouldn't put a deadline on this. Forget about wrapping up the purchase this weekend (if you ask me) and scroll through the whole endless selection, more than once, for a week or two, to get a feel for the pipes, their prices, etc., and see what stays with you.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
For me the 320ks or the 128 "Miele" or even the Porto Cervo 129 is another I like. I have a Porto Cervo 320 that is my baby, I love that pipe. We even have a 320 club with in the pipe club.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I just got a Porto Cervo 320KS Rusticated and it is an unbelievable pipe. Nice open airway even with a balsa filter and smokes cool every time. Couldn't recommend it anymore. The Ontario series is also very nice. They are all long shank pipes.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A lot depends on what type of blends you smoke. Flakes, ribbons, plugs cubed? If you're all of the following then maybe a billiard would be versatile enough for what you smoke.

I have 10 Savs and love them all. My latest is a Spring 320KS, aka Author. A wonderful shape that smokes cool because the walls are fairly thick.

As for model that is totally subjective and dependent on your wallet. Dollar for Dollar it is hard to beat a Savinelli. So, take your time and choose well. Good luck and let us know how you do.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I just got a 313 GDO and love it. I can't speak about any other models but I bet it would be hard to go wrong with any Sav. Just find one you like best and buy it!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think the Savinelli Roma series are a very good value. So are the Trevi and Tevere if you're really trying to stay on a budget. They all smoke really well. Really any Sav is pretty good bang for your buck- buy what you can afford/are drawn to. My favorite are the Punto Oro Mr. G series, which are a bit more spendy.
As far as model- it kind of depends on what you smoke - the dublin shapes are great for flakes, pot shapes are great for latakia blends.
I think billiard and apple shapes make a nice middle ground.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I have 2 of their 413 Dublin shapes- awesome pipes for flakes.
I also have a 626 which is a bent apple....real nice little "catch all" pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have one of their 904's with the alligator rustication. Very striking shape.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I'm partial to the Sav Antique Shell 920. If you do not already have a Dublin shape this is nice one to try. About $70 at Pipesandcigars.com. At this point in your pipe smoking "career" you should consider a selection of different shapes to find what tobacco burns best in what shape for your tastes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm with MSO. Buy a cob or two to smoke for now. Then start playing the field. You could be married to your new pipe for life. Keep looking them until one them starts singing to you. You'll know what I mean when you find each other. There is plenty of time. Don't but a pipe you like. There are thousands like that. Wait until you find the one you love.
Luckily, we don't have to practice monogmay with our pipes. You can have whole harem of different shapes, sizes and colors.
BTW, I love Savinellis and Stanwells. I have a few dozen pipes and about 5 Savinellis and three Stanwells.(A new Stanwell POTY is on the way) I smoke these 7 pipes as much as the other briars combined. The best smoking pipe I have just might be a $49.00 Stanwell poker.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I now have 14 Savinelli pipes and all smoke very well. I will suggest that you decide on a shape/model, and then find the finish that you like in your price range. You will not be disappointed, regardless of which one you get.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Honestly I don't think you can wrong with a savinelli. They have shapes and finishes to match a wide array of preferences, and they smoke great. I have four at the moment and I'm looking to get more; they have become my preferred pipe brand. The finish is sort of personal - I really like the appearance of smooth finishes (like the spring, venere, and Columbus lines) but occasionally find myself attracted to rustication like the Porto Cervo and Tortuga line. If you find one you really love, take the plunge and you won't regret it. :)

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I really like the Tortuga and the Oscar Tiger series. I also have an unfinished one that was inexpensive, and is a great smoker. Good luck!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a hard one to answer as Savinelli has so many great pipes. I'd visit Smokingpipes and use their pipe finder to search Savinelli pipes in your price range. There will literally be hundreds to choose from in all shapes, sizes and finishes. Good luck on your search and let us know which one you pick. :puffy:

madtohkin

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
I purchased my first pipe, Savinelli 677 Roma, in April. It's a beauty of a pipe and smokes wonderfully. Now I want a Churchwarden, you should give those a look.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I don't have a recommendation on a pipe, but smokingpipes.com has a very useful Pipe Locator. It allows you to search with several refinements, including brand, shape, and whether it uses a filter or not. That helps quite a lot when looking at Savinellis.

Status
Not open for further replies.