PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Good morning! (Again)
The local shop where I purchased my first pipe/tobacco blend extended an invitation to sample some blends at their shop. My rule in visiting any local shop (bike, gun, book, etc) is to always purchase at least one item in exchange for their time, knowledge and assistance. This is only if I did not plan on purchasing anything to begin with. In addition to this rule and basic human decency, are there any unwritten rules for visiting a shop and sampling a bowl from them?
I will be heading there on Sunday afternoon and bringing my pipe, and accessories. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on what to do/not do while I am there. I know I am overthinking this but I don’t want to be rude to the older guys who run the place.
Thanks!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Try to sample from the mildest to the strongest. Take a drink or other palette cleansing option for between samples.
Don't burn the joint down and buy some of your top two samples.
Also, don't mentally write off the ones you dislike now. In a year or two, you may find them enjoyable.
Have fun.
jay-roger.jpg

That's very nice of them. So few shops nowadays allow smoking inside them. As for unwritten rules... not that I can think of, except one that you don't seem like you would break... is to always buy something if you are going to smoke there. So many guys come on the forums to complain about this or that smoke shop kicking them out for smoking inside without buying anything, and then they further go on to complain that the tins were outrageously priced at $15 a piece.

But, I don't think that you are in the same class of guy as one that would do that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In sampling, pack your pipe or pipes with partial bowls, so you don't overdo on nicotine when you get to the stronger blends. Smaller bowl pipes are good for sampling if you have them. If you are going to spend some time, and smoke more than usual, you may want to smoke a filter pipe, though you will have to factor that into what you are tasting. Don't sample every last blend available, only those that particularly interest you. For example, I might skip the cherry aromatic blends, but you have your own preferences. Don't be over-influenced by what others praise. You can cheerfully agree, to be sociable, if you want ... but is this something you'd enjoy smoking at home? So consult your own opinions. This is one of those times when the mini-cobs can be useful, holding enough to taste a blend, but not burn out your taste buds. A few small pipes are ideal for this, if you have them. It ain't rocket science. Enjoy yourself, and tell us what you like and what you learn, if you want.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Thanks again for the input! I will definitely post a follow-up (hopefully with pictures) of this little adventure. I am very blessed (or cursed) to have a very nice shop located just 15 minutes (walking) from my house. I will let you know what I wind up trying and how it goes. Hopefully, and with some luck, I don’t wind up burning the place down!

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
39f95bf8-1337-47de-a2da-b5f8e956c322-600x450.jpg

605b8134-858c-4585-a5cb-9589748a2b41-600x450.jpg

78fab3b7-df50-4e75-8751-c249914d6071-600x450.jpg

36a8e3bd-1617-4018-a5a5-b86320161430-600x450.jpg

50dad171-c66d-42a5-811c-20b8d16d8028-600x450.jpg

Happy Sunday!
So I am a boy of my word and made it to my local Pipe & Tobacco shop. I burned the place a bit but the brick wall stopped the fire. I went in and saw Tom (extremely friendly) and stuck my nose in some jars and wanted to get a small pouch of Buccaneer. Unfortunately, I forgot my pipe and could not sample it. However, there was a nice little Peterson Standard 317 in the estate cabinet that caught my eye. I am not a smart man but I figured if I wanted to sample a bowl I should have a pipe to do it. I sparked my new to me pipe and Tom joined me and we had a cool delicious smoke and he dropped some knowledge on my candy ass! I got to try a sweet blend (see the Buccaneer label) and he suggested I try the Blackwater next time! I was in and out of there in 90 minutes flat!
I had a great time listening to customers walking in and out of the shop and their conversations were entertaining. I took a tour of the place and found not one, but two smoking rooms. Apparently pipe smokers meet up there on Saturday mornings! I can’t wait to take that next trip to meet some local pipers. I don’t know of the rules about advertising but if you are ever in Denver, let me know and I will take you over to this awesome store! I will most likely never smoke a cigar ever again because pipe smoking leaves you more options.
Let me know if either of these blends seem familiar to anyone else, I would love to try other “Buccaneers”.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice!
P.S. I probably downloaded the pictures wrong so you may need to tilt your head to one side to check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.