PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
After reading Anthony's post, I decided to grab a hunk of old walnut from the garage and see what I could make happen. This is a pretty rough attempt at a poker, with not much fore thought. It's pretty rough, but was actually functional. I've decided I drilled the draft hole too large, as it didn't feel "right" during the draw. After noting my mistakes, I sketched out the next version and ordered some short, straight stems. When they arrive, I'll be giving round 2 a whirl. I'm still working out the details of a sanding disk for shaping, so this one will probably be square or octagonal in shape. Anyhow, we'll see how it goes.
Joe
tumblr_niga6xRlt51s72xabo1_400.jpg

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
For a first attempt at a cherrywood that is a hell of a good looking pipe. Despite its flaws, if it smoked ok I would stain it and use it proudy it I were you. Your first go at pipe carving!

Jan 8, 2013
Heck yeah! Very cool :) I say smoke it and enjoy it! You can try packing a bit tighter and see if that helps with the draw. Well done Mojoe :D

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Awesome. Yet another addict! You may not be yet, but you will be before you done.
And agreed with previous statements that's a damn nice looking cherrywood already.
If by "rough" you mean "way better than ivapewithfire's first attempt" you'd be spot on.
I can't wait to see what it looks like once you finish it.

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
Thanks all.....this was definitely a practice run, as I've found with most of my woodwork that I learnbest from my mistakes (or scraped knuckles). I have this one set aside in the shop for a rainy day. Once my stems arrive and I can get some final measurements, I'll take a run at another. Unfortunately, I have about 5 projects "backlogged", so I'll have to prioritize a bit (I owe the GF 2 night stands by valentine's day).
joe

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
Btw cobguy....that same GF gave me that hand plane for Christmas. It's a Sandusky Tool Co 25" jointer plane. A little internet research tells me it dates somewhere around the early 1900's. Aside from a broken tote (one of the afore mentioned projects), it's in darn good shape. I plan to clean everything up and make a user out of her.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
If you can, try folding over a pipe cleaner and inserting that. I use them in my Stanwell but the Stanwell is built for a 9mm filter.

Just a thought.

Beautiful looking pipe to my eyes.

Smoke it with pride. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.