PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
Hello all!
Just wanted to introduce myself, name's Mike(y).
I'm relatively new to smoking, have been enjoying it for just under a year, although I have smoked cigars for several years prior. To get to it, I just recently bought my first real pipe! A Savinelli Oceano 106.
p350lbx_111_02.jpg

Just something about that pipe that I like, that little touch with the blue and white stem. I was just curious what you guys thought of my first official pipe but also what flashy or unique pipes you own. Are there any lines of pipes that are unique/flashy that come to mind? I'd be interested to know, look forward to any feedback you provide!

Jan 8, 2013
just recently bought my first real pipe!
Any pipe is a real pipe, be it a cob or a Castello. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. Congratulations on your Savinelli, though. Enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:
Are there any lines of pipes that are unique/flashy that come to mind? I'd be interested to know, look forward to any feedback you provide!
The Peterson Rosslare is pretty flashy as well as it's big brother, the Rosslare Royal Irish.
Peterson Rosslare

002-029-22620.jpg

Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish

002-029-19476.jpg

You might also like the Savinelli Alligator Blue...

002-033-35182.jpg

Or perhaps the Savinelli Solaria

002-033-29783.jpg

There are many many more by many different brands to choose from. And welcome to the forum!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My first pipe was a basket pipe, but my first nice pipe was a Savinelli 645 Bent Apple Short Pipe. Its still one of my favorite pipes. As far as flashy or unique pipes, that will depend on the person and the pipe. Enjoy your new pipe, and welcome to the forum.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
If you like flashy and affordable look around for Chacom and Butz-Choquin pipes. Smokingpipes dot com has a great selection.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
JVNSHR, anthony, metal, blue, thanks for the warm welcome, and/or suggestions!
I guess what I mean by flashy is a pipe with a traditional shape and overall design, but unique color combos or textures.
Brebbia Aero tomato
Chacom Volute smooth grey
Nording Spruce matte
Nording's I just like the look of. The stem on this is just enough and takes it to another level. Hope these are good references to what catches my eye.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
When the term "Flashy Pipe" is used the one pipe manufacture that always comes to mind is Vauen.
Here are a few examples.
Colour1_1878_59e9d393cd0.png

Diamond_y_230_59c124cf26ba.png

Oak_OK_159_359_59c125d92aba.png

Spin-4_137_59c12442cc0b.png

STRIPE_ST_237_299_59c12513cec8.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One of the OP's links-
I find this Nording on the hideous side, but that's just me.
002-508-5558.jpg

My flashiest pipe is a black blast spigot bulldog made by the Dunhill firm. Or just branded by them.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
Jeffro, those Vauens all catch my eye, except maybe the first one.
Jpmcwjr, it just seems more than a pipe to me. I'm not into art so much, but it just reminds me of the ocean. The contrast in colors on the bowl and the blue stem-like waves crashing over rocks on the beach.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
When it’s my money buying the pipe, the only opinion I care about regarding aesthetics is my own. The only other thing I’d offer is if you think you’ll ever want to sell the pipe as an estate, the appeal to others would be worth considering.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
That’s a nice looking pipe seacaptain. I’d say elegant, not flashy.
Thanks, I just got it recently, the only non-black stemmed pipe I have. I like traditional things best, so this is actually quite a jump for me. I'm living on the edge! :D

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
As others have said, flashy means different things to different pipers. For me, I consider the Danish aesthetic quite flashy when I see its Freehand swoops. Even UK or Italian makers using snazzy or expensive metals on the stems of their classic shapes makes them flashy to me. If non-traditionally coloured stems is a thing that makes a pipe flashy, then I have three flashy pipes; a Peterson and two Joe Case pokers. Rarely have I smoked them; I should move them to someone who'd be more comfortable smoking them :puffy:
Welcome to the forum!!!

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Thomasw, I am glad you mentioned Danish pipes, I have a good friend that mainly smokes a Peterson or Savinelli in your basic brown stain.

I have a small collection of Danish freehands. One day we where togeather and I was smoking my Preben Holm.

I asked if he wanted to try it, his response "No way I am smoking a Flashy pipe like that, not my style!" :lol:

I don't even cosider my freehand briars flashy, but I am sure many people do.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
I enjoy traditional designs with non-traditional finishes/colors/textures. I have 3 basket briars and 2 cobs aside from the fresh Sav. I'm still really new to it all, my favorite pipe so far has been a partially rusticated straight apple that's just stepped "Czech" on the shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.