Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

First Radice (Chubby)

(16 posts)
  1. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Adding a Radice and a Chubby were each on my pipe wish list and I knocked them out with one new addition. My NJ friend had this neat chubby Radice and I couldn't pass it up. It is stamped with an "O" and I couldn't find out much about what that signifies on the web. It was only lightly smoked but I gave it a salt/everclear soak after a light reaming and I'll give it a try tomorrow. I've never really smoked a nosewarmer (I had one Hackert I smoked one bowl out of before selling), so I'll have to report back.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's cute, Al I like that style, particularly the large bowl and the fat shank & stem.

I only have one "nosewarmer." mine's quite old and currently unaccounted for (in storage somewhere) -- a blasted bulldogish style with an amber stem, made in France (I think).

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al I got a Radice called a June bug, little short fat thing, kind of like me LOL. Really good smoker I believe you will really like yours. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

It looks like my style of pipe. I really like the short nosewarmers. Hope she smokes as good as she looks for ya.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've missed a few estate June Bugs in the past year, good to know they smoke well. This one is pretty light at 53 grams. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm very impressed with how this one smokes. A wide open, Castello like draw and experience. The button is even just slightly better than my Castellos. I'll look forward to breaking this one in an building a little cake, as the first smoke was cool and dry. It has a pretty big bowl giving it just over an hour smoke. The only issue it doesn't securely fit in any of my racks. (but came with a nice Radice stamped foam case)

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice little Radice Al. Enjoy!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

it is stamped with an "O"

"O"'s on a Radice indicate that they have a wooden insert between the shank and stem.

I had one Hackert

I've always wanted to try one of his pipes!

I'm very impressed with how this one smokes

I am impressed with Radice too! Mine smokes very well, and I too love the button on the stem. It is the narrowest and most comfortable stem I have owned yet. Mine (a silk cut apple) has a huge bowl too.

I really like your pipe!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. spyder71

Spyder

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool pipe!

"O"'s on a Radice indicate that they have a wooden insert between the shank and stem.

I have a Radice Rind "o" and it has no wooden insert.

"I used to cry because I had no shoes. Until I met a man who had no feet"- My favorite and I use it to get by...

Support The Epilepsy Awareness Foundation!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Radice Rind "o" and it has no wooden insert.

Hmm, this is where I found that info. Also, smoking pipes typically labels any with an insert as a "O."
    Radice Guide to Grading

Maybe they forgot to add the wood on yours

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This
    Radice Grading

is from Radice's site, and although it does not mention all of the stamps, it is still pretty useful.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few Radice and they are top notch. I love the one you got Al - I need one like that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Radice smokes great and they are so well built. This is a great pocket pipe, bring it next time to the meet-up.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a fine looking Radice Al. Congratulations.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the Radice info. I'm still not certain what grade it is, but keep hearing the O is for an optional wood insert.

My buddy still has this Radice chubby Rind available:

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, that's a great pipe! (I actually think it's a a "silk cut" becasue it's blasted). Is it new or estate? If it's an estate at a decent price I might be interested!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lincolnsbark, goldsm, natibo, kcvet67, mso489, lestrout, buffalopat, cobguy, pitchfork, 12pups, jdub, phil67, phonomet, anthonyrosenthal74, rsuninv, eightywon, tbradsim1, daimyo, goinslow, fishnbanjo, coalsmoke, ghost, deathandtaxes, jiminks