PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Hi all,

Been lurking around the site for the past 3 weeks or so, which is the same amount of time I have been a pipe smoker, so I am an very new brother of the briar. Gotta say this site is the most entertaining and informative pipe site out there, and I feel like I already know some of you from your posts.

In that spirit, I wanted to share my first attempt at a pipe rack (actually it is my second attempt, the first one was a very cool natural pipe rack made from an oak stump with the bark still on the front edge, but I used too dark of a stain, and it ended up looking like a turd).

But this one turned out pretty good,
2012-10-14%2019.12.09.jpg
made from red oak, with a cherry stain to darken it up a bit. It will be home to my current two pipe collection for the time being.

Look forward to talking to you guys more.

-PM

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Thanks for joining and welcome. Nice pipe rack. We all love pictures of pipes and pipe paraphernalia.

mb1mb

Might Stick Around
Oct 5, 2012
Nice rack! And welcome.

Just a thought... Perhaps some felt or leather glued into the holes on the base might look nice. If you can find a biscuit/wafer slightly smaller than your hole you could glue it (fabric, or whatever) to the biscuit, then glue the whole deal in. I'd like to see the other one too. No stain is ever too dark... :D, "I am only wearing black until they invent something darker"

But, if it's not your taste you could sand (steel wool works well) off the dark randomly and wipe a red or some other color to offset the dark.

Remember... A painting is never finished until you are CERTAIN you've ruined it!

Welcome aboard.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Wow very nice! Welcome to the forum. If you need any technical help or have any general questions feel free to PM me any time.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Welcome to the hobby of smoking pipes.
Nice pipe rack!
If the PAD hasn't hit yet, the rack is gonna fill up quick and you're going to need another one

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Thanks for all the encouraging comments! I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

Since someone asked, and for comedy relief, I will post a pic of the "natural" rack that got stained too dark. I do plan on doing another one the same style as soon as I can get that huge oak stump piece to a table saw.

Here ya go:
2012-10-15%2007.30.08.jpg

mb1mb

Might Stick Around
Oct 5, 2012
I like it.... That would look sweet w/ a few Nording freehand's perched upon it. Nice work.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very nice! I like to soften those front rides with a dremel, where the bowl might rest.

I restained that rack I bought from the Richmond show. Aterwards,I went to test fit my pipes and the top holes don't line up at all with the bottom. What the heck? Here it as purchased... (and yes,the top is on the right way)

(shoot, can't post a picture from here)

Status
Not open for further replies.