First Pipe You Ever Bought?

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by peckinpahhombre
  • Latest reply from backyardbriar
  1. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is the first pipe you ever bought and how did you decide to buy it? Do you still own it? Still love it?

I have only been into pipes since last September. Before that, cigars were my thing. In September I was in Dublin for a conference and, while walking about, I stumbled upon the Peterson flagship store on Nassau street in Dublin. I went in, and came out with the pipe below. Because I liked big cigars (Cubans), I told the salesman that I wanted a big pipe. He pulled this one out and said this was the biggest pipe they sold. So I bought it. Oddly, they call it a Peterson "House Pipe", whatever that means. It is a large billiard with a black blast. For the next few days, i walked around Dublin smoking my new pipe (and drinking a fair amount of Guinness) and I was hooked.

I didn't know this then, but I know now that Peterson has gotten a fair amount of bad press recently over poorly drilled pipes and other defects and issues. However, this pipe has always smoked wonderfully for me, and just seems to get better and better each time I smoke it, so I am always at a bit of a loss when I hear that bad press about Peterson. I probably just got lucky.

Even though I now own many "high end" pipes, I still love this one and think it will always have a place somewhere in my rotation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As posted elsewhere, my first pipe purchase was a free pipe. A light brown finish Willard straight billiard wrapped with two pouches of Carter Hall, well under $5, I got in the 60's. I still have that pipe and it's still a great smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kaywoodie, bent rusticated , still have it, bought in a Navy Gedunk in 62, very sentimental pipe, has a lot of history. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice Peterson and good story.

My first was cheap basket pipe which happens to be a good smoker surprisingly enough.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bought a 'popeye the sailor' mearschaum back in the eighties.
    I gave it away in the 90's. I do miss it though.....thinking about
    having one carved to replace it soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe is this Savinelli Linea Piu 5 with silver band. It retailed for 155.00, I bought it at my buddies cigar shop so he gave me 20% off. I still smoke it and it is dedicated to Carter Hall. It was originally dedicated to English blends and it is a great smoker. I will always keep it in the collection. I was lucky in that I had no clue as to what constitutes a good smoking pipe so having this as a first pipe it gave me a frame of reference. When I went to buy other pipes, I could tell if something was not a good smoker. For example the second pipe I bought was a Nording straight Grain from Mom's on Madison Ave in NY City. The pipe was a free hand Dublin that had some real pretty straight grain, but it would not pass a pipe cleaner and when it would gurgle I had to pull it apart to get a pipe cleaner through it. I did not know how important that was until later on so I ended up getting rid of the pipe. My third pipe I bought was a Winslow C grade that had a 500.00 retail again from my buddies shop and that was a great smoking pipe and again it gave me a frame reference when it came to high grade pipes. The fourth pipe I bought was a cheap Jensen that was a piece of shit, so I learned early on that in many cases you get what you pay for. That Jensen retailed for 90.00 and it smoked hot and wet and it had a varnish on it which did not let it breath. I never bought another pipe with varnish on it.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That Jensen retailed for 90.00 and it smoked hot and wet and it had a varnish on it which did not let it breath. I never bought another pipe with varnish on it.

I feel bad for the new puffers who love the "ooh shiny," or the painted black, green, red, etc. pipes. Not everyone agrees, but the chances of a sealed pipe smoking well is very much the shot in the dark, IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. acaciavet

acaciavet

Login to Send PM

First pipe I ever bought,was a Dr Grabow Crown Duke,Smokers HAven Port Huron Mich,1967.That old pipe i still enjoy has a lot of Sea time on it.Rode on the USCGC Acacia with me fo 4 years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a gift but the first one I purchased was an estate Savinelli Punto Oro bulldog. I still have it and I smoked it last night. It's a great pipe and I doubt I'll ever give it up willingly.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a Shalom Deluxe briar. Certainly no high-end pipe, but also no drugstore basket pipe, either.
    I needed to replace the stem (with, of all things, a straight MM Country Gentleman stem which fits perfectly), but the pipe is still in my rotation and smokes quite well.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got my first, a Stanwell, in 1956 or 57. It got lost many years ago. I do have a 1959 Stanwell in the same shape, a horn, I think. Neither are great pipes, but without the internet the selection of available pipes was limited back then. They cost $18 each, which is like around $270 now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first ebay pipes were a Savinelli Oscar estate (awesome smoker) and a 1967(?) Yello-Bole Spartan, new in box. Then I bought a Peterson Shannon at Barclay Rex for my first "new" purchase.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. bubblehead33

bubblehead33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine was a brylon Medico. I still have it but dont't bother smoking it, gets way to hot to hold but I can't toss it out either.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

Mine was a Dublin shaped Kaywoodie from 1972. I no longer have it because I got rid of all my pipes back in the late '70s when I gave up pipe smoking for cigarettes. It was a decent smoke as far as I can recall, but then again I was in my late teens in '72 and probably couldn't tell a crap pipe from a decent one back then. I should probably look for another Kaywoodie of the same vintage and see what I think of them now.

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I should probably look for another Kaywoodie of the same vintage and see what I think of them now.

I recommend you do so. Won't cost too much and I doubt you will be disappointed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

punkrockarmy

Login to Send PM

A Mitchell Thomas basket pipe. I smoke only English blends in it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The two oldest and probably my first from the 1970s are a Savinelli second that came unfinished and is now a golden brown with
    a few distinctive fills (I really like!) and nifty bent sitter with a pot shaped bowl, a Tinder Box St. Ives. Both are delightfully light
    weight, smooth smokers, and in fine shape. Worn but solid.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a Dr Grabow. Was driving and went to dump it out, bowl fell off the stem and in the road!

John
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. englishdave

englishdave

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a Peterson System #301, bought in 1988 I think from a Tinderbox in a mall near Amherst, MA. I bought into the whole "thinking man" ad line, plus Jeremy Brett smoked a Peterson Churchwarden in the Sherlock Holmes series that he was so famous for. What originally caught my eye was a bulldog "Baker Street" from Peterson's newly released Sherlock Holmes series of pipes. Of course, as a college student I couldn't afford it, but it pushed me toward Peterson's even more.

Eventually my mother bought me that very pipe for my college graduation a couple of years later...

I still have the #301, and I loved that the military mount mount I could put I had less risk of breaking anything. It served me well for many years. It is by no means perfect, has a very slight fill, and has seen it's share of abuse. At one time it just wouldn't smoke right anymore. I learned to salt & alcohol clean it. I recently reamed out the airway to 5/32". It can be a bit difficult, in comparison to some of my later and better pipes. It won't handle aromatics well, smokes very wet. But I graduated from those to English blends long ago.

I expect it to be temperamental, she's old and abused. But I don't think I'd ever get rid of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Mine was a cheap little calabash. It was very hard to get a pipe cleaner through it, even with the stem off. It may have been an F.e.s.s., I'm not sure as it didn't have any markings on the pipe or box. I have since gotten rid of it as I found it to smoke horrible once I started getting more pipes.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dr Grabow Big Pipe, still have it and I still smoke it.

You may call me "HerrDoctor"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dr Grabow Duke. Still have it and smoke it.

The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
    ~Albert Einstein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. oldredbeard

oldredbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first was a Calabresi, 3/4 bent billiard. I knew absolutely nothing about pipes, or how to smoke them. Put that pipe through the ringer during the first part of learning this great hobby, and it has turned out to be a very good smoker. I still average smoking it once a week.

I'm not complaining.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First pipe I ever bought was a Savinelli 'Duca Carlo' lumberman shape.

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

A real briar Medico squat bulldog off of a pegboard display at the corner drugstore, back in the late 60's.
    I threw it away after I foolishly burned it out while smoking outdoors on a cold, windy day.
    It was a very good smoker despite the fact that I used filters in it. I miss that pipe.

My next pipe was a Kaywoodie H9 hi-bole Supergrain from the same place, for $9.99.
    I recently sold that one on e-Bay for $79.00!! I suppose because it looked very much like a LOTR pipe, and it was in exquisite shape.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

Sandra plastic pipe with a metal bowl. Broke before I smoked it. Then I bought a corn cob which hooked me for good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$5 pearwood billiard, bought in Kiev, Ukraine. Has the Ukrainian national symbol on the front of the bowl. It's a good smoker.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I found a picture of it:

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't buy my first pipe, being a woodworker I figured I could make it. On a trip to Boston about 25 years ago I happened to walk by Ehrlichs (sp?) and they sold me a beautiful piece of Algerian briar. I was able to make two pipes out of it, here is one. Except for a sandpit on the bottom it is flawless. Too bad I had no idea what I was doing and drilled a flat bottom hole for the bowl

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. backyardbriar

backyardbriar

Login to Send PM

I bought an estate Bradberry pipe at a consignment shop thinking I wouldn't smoke it. But I had to buy it for the aesthetic and my interest in pipes. Then a college house mate lit a pipe up one weekend. I tried it, fell in love, and have been smoking pipe ever since. From there I set out to learn about restoring pipes so I could restore the Bradberry to smoke it. For those who are unfamiliar with Bradberry, it is a factory pipe with metal condenser/filter. You do not see to many around, but it is cheaper in quality than the pre-1955 Kaywoodies and have moved on to collection and smoking those.
    @troutface Excellent pipe for your first handmade!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jorgesoler, xrundog, danielplainview, kcvet67, tbradsim1, owen, rsuninv, derfatdutchman, davek