PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
After a tension filled weekend ( wife and I had a major blowout ), which was caused by me..naturally, she left again for the airport on another business trip. I guess I've been a real bear to live with recently, as I tend to keep all my frustrations with life harbored inside, but when I do speak, it is in a negative tone, revealing my inner tensions. I guess it's like the Alcoholic who doesn't know he has a problem, you know, the last one to know situation. A lot of this comes from finances, job situation, and me being the anal retentive perfectionist that I have always been. So I recently had the urge to try the pipe again as I remembered it as a relaxing pastime years ago. I recently bought some Captain Black White, MacBaren Vanilla Cream, and some Butterscotch Love from the Just For Him site ( which I think is a McClelland brand ).
Out on the front porch I went tonite, just as the sun was setting, causing the sky to display some wonderful shades of Orange, Amber, and Butterscotch. I unpacked my new pipe, the Quiet Comrade, with its triple chamber design, touted as providing a cool, dry smoke. Loaded it up with some Butterscotch Love and struggled with the lighting process using regular matches ( there's got to be a better way ). I'll tell you now, I obviously know zero about the art of pipe smoking, but that brand of tobacco was totally SMOOOOOTH...so it was either the pipe or the Black Cavendish , but it was obviously the right choice for me to pick for my first attempt. Just a dry, cool as an ocean breeze, pleasant, non-biting smoke. It went so well, that I had to go to the Captain Black next, which wasn't as aromatic as I remembered....I guess that first smoke was the pinnacle of smoothness. By then I had relaxed to the point of realizing that indeed I was the cause of all of the problems with my marriage and told myself that I need to turn the last page of that chapter and start fresh again. My wife is the woman of my dreams, been with me 33 years, is a fantastic mother of 2 grown kids, great in bed, and is a pretty smart cookie with a great job..the last thing I need is to frig that up. So anyway, I thought it would be only fair to try the MacBaren Vanilla Cream to end the night with. I guess I should have stopped at the Captain Black...the last bowl just didn't have any real vanilla taste and I was starting to get a little tongue sensitive, not bite, but just too much for one night.
I'll likely try a bowl on the way home tomorrow, to relieve the road-rage issues I incur daily :) It was a relief to get rid of some issues as I entered a brief Zen like state on that first bowl. We'll see how this works out for me. Thanks for reading the lengthy post.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I entered a brief Zen like state on that first bowl.
That's where it's at brother.

With a little practice preparing your tobacco and packing, the char light with followed by the 'true light' with matches is one of the truly great pleasures known to mankind.
When I would be ready to blow my lid from frustration with a vendor or some other issue; my boss would say, pack your pipe and take a walk.....

Sage advice.

condorguy

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
Hey hobie1dog, glad you've found something to help you chill out. Though I'm not the biggest fan of aromatics, I find them a very relaxing smoke. Whenever I need to leave my troubles behind or take the edge off a particularly stressful day, I pack one of my briars with a fill of Kendal's Cherry and Vanilla or, if I'm feeling more extravagant, Peterson's Sweet Killarney. After an hour of sweet puffing I feel relaxed, rejuvenated, and wondering why I ever got stressed out in the first place.
I'm sure your wife won't have a problem with you taking up the pipe once again, especially if it helps you relax. No doubt, she'll enjoy the wonderful new aromas perfuming your home!

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Hobie1dog, I have been on a "Vanilla" kick these past 2 weeks, I guess it's the heat. I've schmoked more Black Cavendish and Vanilla blends latey than I have in the past 2 years. Just a taste thingy I guess.
While you did not ask for advise, if I may give a suggestion. I have been married for 40 years and have found that while we think the good thoughts, we need to say it.
"My wife is the woman of my dreams, been with me 33 years, is a fantastic mother of 2 grown kids, great in bed, and is a pretty smart cookie with a great job..the last thing I need is to frig that up."
Tell her what you posted, she needs to hear it.
Have some great pipe times.
martin

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Martin: we got things worked out temporarily, I just have to "get happy" one way or another and relieve some tension, hopefully through alot more pipe smoking.
I think I'm going to order that "Smooth Operator" Sampler from pipesandcigars.com that has the Altadis:
Creamy Butterscotch

Coco Creme

Caramello

Black and Gold Cavendish

Mellow and Mild
That should go along way to getting me mellow. Or I'll have to try something like this:

ShowLetter.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just noticed today's timely Pipe Quote Of The Day:
You have proved it a very moral habit as pipe smoking had prevented more illicit liaisons than fears of duels or divorce. by Benjamin Disraeli to Colonel Webster

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
hobie1dog - that picture is funny as shit. Also, try taking a walk, and consider a massage too.
cortezattic - I take my wife everywhere, but she finds her way home.
The other day my wife said she wanted to go somewhere she's never been before.
I said, "try the kitchen".

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
That is one of the great things about smoking a pipe. The whole ritual from choosing what blend to smoke all the way through the final puff, puts you into a more relaxed state of mind and allows you to contemplate on a lot of things.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Well, smoke #2 went alot better as I only packed the bowl full of the Butterscotch Love once, no second and third bowls. I did something right, as I only had to relight once about 1/2 way down and it lasted almost 30 minutes this time. I was able to also get more relaxed to the point of doing my Google Earth thing where I envision myself sitting there and gradually go farther and farther up until you are up in space looking down at the big ball suspended in space. ( yeah, I know, you should have heard what I used to think about when I smoked some real sh$t...LOL). Relaxation and escape is what I'm shooting for. I wish my boat was fixed so that I could go out on the lake and kick back and relax.

Those friggin matches are a pain in the a$$...I'm always dropping or spilling them....I did buy a soft flame Butane pipe lighter on Ebay today.
Cleaning that Quiet Comrade pipe is the easiest thing in the world. Having that long stem and bottom bowl all made of aluminum, takes only a quick wipe with a paper towel and one push of a pipe cleaner in the mouthpiece and whallah...you're done.

Jun 21, 2010
hobie,

glad there is someone else who had a long sabatical from the pipe besides myself. I just recently returned to the pipe after many years, indeed decades, away. Relax, enjoy!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome back to the Fraternity Jerry.
Hobie,
Those friggin matches are a pain in the a$$...I'm always dropping or spilling them....
I used to have the similar problem when jogging...

The olives kept falling out of my martinis, so I gave it up.

Jogging that is...

:)

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
if it wasn't for my pipes and cigars i probably woulda blown a gasket by now. i am in forced retirement due to health and i hate it...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
We're glad to have Maduro,

You'll find there is a lot we all have in common, of course most importantly our love of pipes.
And, in some respects an irreverent sense of humor.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Tried out some Petersons Sunset Breeze tonite, pretty smooth, no tongue bite, only had to re-light once and it lasted 30 minutes in the little bowl that I have on my pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.