PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Hey guys, i am still pretty new to the hobby and the forums. I have been prowling around the beginners forums religiously haha. Out for delivery today is my first pipe and tobacco purchase. I got a Dr. Grabow Duke (smaller bowl) and a 4 tin sampler from pipesandcigars.com (dunhill night cap, cult blood moon, out of office locked out, and east india cellar reserve). Anyone tried these smokes? Or have experience with a Dr. Grabow Duke pipe?
Thanks Guys!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't have any experience with either Dr. Grabow pipes or the tobaccos in that sampler pack. The Grabow pipe has a long history in American pipe manufacture, and I'm sure it will work well for you. And based on tin descriptions and reviews, the tobaccos aren't in the style that I prefer. But, since I missed your first post, I wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums and the culture of indulgence in luxury pipe tobacco.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Thanks Cortez. Yea when i decided to grab the tins i selected, i went mostly mild aromatics (was suggested to me to do so) and one stronger fuller smoke (night cap). I am sure i will taste everything under the sun for awhile so the smaller bowl pipe should work in my favor. What suggestions do you have on good tobacco choices? What are your every day smokes compared to your break it out on the weekend smokes?

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Welcome to the forums and the brotherhood! I have a Dr. G Silver Duke, it is a small pipe, but smokes wonderfully. Do not be fooled by the price, Dr. G pipes are very good smokers.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It will be repeated over and over again but take your time and sip slowly. Especially with the aromatics. If you puff too hard, they will burn hotter and produce an unpleasant experience. The slower you go, the more you'll get out of it too.
I love Nightcap but compared to the others, it will be both fuller in taste and heavier in nicotine. Take it slowly and try it after a meal. Maybe with a sweet beverage nearby.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You went for one of the "Big Boy" backys with Nightcap. Just take all of them slowly.

I didn't smoke anything with Latakia in it for the first couple of months...not that it isn't a good idea.

I don't know anything about the others besides what I've read.

As a matter of fact, you can read about pretty much any tobacco you are interested in or even watch video reviews of them online...youtube and various tobacco review sites....

Nightcap is a keeper....the others I'm not so sure about.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Thanks guys. Yea i knew night cap would be the least of the choices i made for a "new smoker" but for the sampler you pick from tiers and in tier 4 they had alot of the same things as the others so i went out on a limb with a different one. i may jar up the night cap for a month or so and work up to it. I have heard good things about it though.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Most of us have the catalog mailed to us either with tobacco orders or because of them and we COULD have been more helpful prior to your order....but, part of this endeavor is the freedom to explore on your own.

My recommendations from those listed on page 69 are as follows:

1. Classic Burly Kake

2. Black House

3. WhiteKnight

4. Fire Storm

I realize that these are not starter tobaccos, except maybe the CBK, but they're about the best on the list, imo.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I received a Duke as a gift from a co-worker. I love it! It's small and light and I find it a cool smoking pipe.
Mine, at least, had some kind of coating on the inner bowl. I got a really foul taste the first time I lit up. I mean really, really bad. I considered throwing it away. I didn't, and the next time the taste was less. Two or three more bowls and the bad taste went away. Now I love it for short smokes.
Hopefully, yours won't be like that, but I wanted to mention it just in case!
As for the nightcap, I love the taste more than anything I've ever smoked, but I can't seem to smoke it without amazing tongue-bite. I hope it's a problem with my technique but, for now, I'm regretfully leaving it alone!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
To learn with a mild English is usually better, but if your aros aren't over the top you should be okay.
If you aren't experienced with smoking a pipe get someone to show you how to properly load, light, and a tamp a pipe. These self evident steps aren't.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog. One point, people smoke Dr. G's with and without a filter. I find the airway a little too open without a filter, giving me too much air with the smoke, so I use an adaptor actually made for Savenelli's, but in the same 6 mm size as the Dr. Grabow and Medico filters, and it works fine. Of course, you can use the filters to tame the Nightcap, if as a starter-smoker you find it a little strong. Welcome aboard and bother us with questions.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Thanks guys! I will post of my first bowl here later on tonight! @mso489 thank you for the kind words! I will be sure to hit you up if the need arises! Or just because we are smoke buddies now haha!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Gary, what martial art(s) do you train? Just curious, fellow martial artist here. Welcome buddy!!

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@layinpipe I teach/train judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu. I have a black belt in judo and a blue belt in jiujitsu. How about yourself? And thanks for the welcome! The group has been very kind to me as the new guy haha

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Gary, that's awesome brother! I teach/train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (2 stripe purple belt) and Muay Thai. I do privates on the side for both as well. I also train/have trained in judo, wrestling and MMA, particularly in MMA with helping our fighters during their training camps for upcoming fights through sparring, rolling, holding pads, etc. Our striking program is Muay Thai based, but with a heavy emphasis in boxing and also including JKD, Savate, Filippino martial arts like Kali and elements of traditional martial arts like wing chun.
I love the martial arts and it has been and continues to be a huge part of my life. It's great to have another fellow martial artist here, especially one with a similar background and that teaches as I do. Hope you stick around brother and again, welcome to the fold!!!
-Corey

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Corey that is pretty sweet brotha. I just got my blue in December. Do you compete? Where do you train out of? We are in Muskegon Michigan. Island Jiu-jitsu Michigan, affiliate with Island Jiu-jitsu Prof. Jason Vigil out of Hawaii. We just got back from NAGA Chicago a few weeks ago. I took gold in gi and silver in nogi.

anchovyd

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2015
A Dr. Grabow Grand Duke was my first pipe. Not too bad if you ditch the filter. If you haven't smoked before it may take you a few times to keep the thing lit. It takes a little bit of experience. My first time, I got frustrated and gave up for a couple weeks until a friend smelled the cavendish in my kitchen cabinet and I tried smoking it again. I was successful the second time.
Anyway, on your tobacco list, I am only familiar with Night Cap. That is a strong tobacco with a load of nicotine in it from the perique. If you haven't been smoking and haven't built up a tolerance, it could knock you on your ass making you feel dizzy and nauseous and make the room spin a little bit. It is a good tobacco for relaxing but it definitely has a kick and should be respected.
Welcome to the club. I wish you a successful smoking career, just don't get discouraged the first time out if it won't stay lit. It only takes a few bowls to get the loading, tamping lighting thing down.
Tae Kwon Do checking in. Peace.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Nice man, a late and hearty congrats on the blue and a huge congrats on the NAGA medals (and sweet sword if they still give those out for gold, lol). I used to compete a bit but haven't done a tourney in a couple years as my focus/passion/love is teaching. Don't get me wrong i still train hard, but i just don't have the desire/passion to compete and if i'm not in it 100%, i don't think it is worth doing. I do help our guys prepare for and assist with coaching them at the tourneys. I think they are a fantastic way to test and improve your skills and develop a strategic direction within your game, as long as you can always differentiate between sport BJJ and Gracie BJJ as it was originally intended.
I am in Portsmouth, VA and we are a Saulo/Xande Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu Association affiliate. My instructor, whom i have known for over 15 years, is also one of my best friends. He is a 1st degree black belt under Saulo. There's actually a few of our fellow affiliates up there in MI. A lot of talent up there and world class potential for sure. I'm sure you guys are no different! NAGA and US Grappling are coming up in the next couple months here as well. We'll mostly be supporting NAGA this time because both those fools schedule their respective tourneys on the same damn day! There's 4 Ribeiro affiliates in the Tidewater area and we all train together and represent together as a team under one banner as much as possible at tourneys.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
shift_key.jpg

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Sorry i derailed OP's thread, Mr. Kevin. :crying: I'll go sit in the corner for timeout, as i've been a bad boy and caused a ruckus.
Carry on gentlemen! My sincerest apologies...

Status
Not open for further replies.