PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
Hey everyone, new to the fourms, and new to pipesmoking- I have MANY questions and im sure with that right amount of research I can find what im looking for, but at the moment I have a pressing matter~ (a few pressing matters)
I have a old corncob pipe I got from my old man, its cracked and isnt pretty but has alot of memories-

My first question now is this; Does a cracked pipe need to be retired, can it be repaired? is it even worth it? its my first and only pipe, but it is a cracked corncob hahaha.
My second question is, Why is my pipe smoking hot, is it more likely the cracks in the pipe? Am I smoking too fast? is it the tobacco? The only smoke ive done so far is a few 1 oz pack of captain black cherry but I have nothing to compare it to.
So aside from cheap tobacco and cracked pipes hahaha,

What is my next step- do you guys have any suggestions for future upkeep, and future tobaccos? should I think about upgrading to brairs? (does it even matter?)
So many questions so little time :)
Anyway thank you guys for your time, I appreciate it alot!

~A newbie

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I would like to say welcome.. First yes retire that pipe. Get a new cob loads of places carry them Walgreens for example, eBay is also a choice for picking up a new pipe. Your hot problem may come from puffing to much to fast. The tobacco may have a small part to play also. If there is a nice tobacco shop in your area you may want to hit it up for some 1oz bags of different tobaccos if they have bulk. Its a great pasttime and hobby have fun

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
That pipe has completed it's tour of duty. Time to retire. @85royals gave all the next best advice: get some cobs if ya want from a drugstore, buy some tobacco from there as well, or hit up an actual pipe & cigar shop.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Welcome aboard. If the cracks aren't too bad they you should be able to save it. Smoking a cob too hot can cause cracking and/or burnout. Check THIS thread out for cob repair info. You might want to invest in a few other cobs though. At least until you get the hang of it so that you don't ruin your beloved cob.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Put your dad's pipe up on the mantle or somewhere safe and cherish it. If you like cobs you can get a Missouri Meerschaum cob cheap and they are great pipes. Nothing wrong with switching to briar but they often don't taste their best until you get a light cake going. Your pipe may be hot because you are puffing too hard, too fast or over lighting the bowl. I haven't smoked any CB in a very long time but in general, heavily topped or cased aromatics need to be smoked extra slow and you only need to light the center of the bowl when starting. Tobacco will taste its best when you keep your pipe barley staying lit. I would suggest trying some good blends but many people love the over the counter blends as well. Frog Morton Cellar by McClelland is a great introduction to a lightly flavored mild English blend and is easy to enjoy. Welcome to the forum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd get a new cob, a Missouri Meerschaum, to continue the family tradition. You can get a briar later if you

want one. Actually, buy several MM cobs, so you can rest the pipes between smokes. Welcome to Forums.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. As everyone has said, reitre it and but several cobs. They are great for experimenting with different blends and can take a beating. Save up some money for a decent briar. Savinelli, Butz-Chacoum, Stanwell are all good moderately priced starter points.

Work on your smoking cadence and packing. I generally use the "Twist Method" and that helps keep a good air space at the bottom of the bowl so you won't have to draw hard while smoking.

Good luck and check in here often. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here for support.

Good luck and have fun.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I suggest pitching that Captain Black Cherry. Order up some nice tobacco flavored tobacco, such as Dunhill Flake, or one of Peter Stokkebye's flake tobaccos.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@lostandfound, don't be an elitist (or so I was told for slightly disparaging pouches by suggesting a B&M trip to a guy on FB).

Jun 4, 2014
As the pipe holds special memories I'd retire it to a place of honor. As others have said pick up a new cob, try some other blend.

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
I'm also new, and I'm also having trouble with a hot pipe. I've read that if you can hold it for 5 seconds then it is't too hot. I've also read that if you were to put it to a baby's cheek it need to be cool enough for them to like the heat... Which is it?
Here's the deal, I think that I'm smoking slow enough because I have to re-light all the time but the bowl still gets hot, I can hold it but it's hot. If my draw is too long would that cause the thing to heat up excessively?

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi woopigsooie,
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I'm also new, and I'm also having trouble with a hot pipe. I've read that if you can hold it for 5 seconds then it is't too hot. I've also read that if you were to put it to a baby's cheek it need to be cool enough for them to like the heat... Which is it?
These are descriptions to guide you in your smoking but in every smoke the bowl heat will vacillate. If it's not too hot to hold and you're enjoying the taste you're ok. As your technique improves, the baby's cheek analogy should be your goal.
Here's the deal, I think that I'm smoking slow enough because I have to re-light all the time but the bowl still gets hot, I can hold it but it's hot. If my draw is too long would that cause the thing to heat up excessively?
A pipe needing a relight isn't necessarily being smoked slowly. Lighting needs sufficiently strong draw that generates more heat than your 'puffs' should. Relighting is necessary at times but you want to develop a rhythm of drawing smoke that keeps the tobacco lit without over heating the pipe.
Hard to be specific without knowing what pipe and tobacco mixture you're smoking. Wet tobacco can cause excessive heat and will go out more easily.
There's a lot of information about the 'sipping' technique on this forum and even YouTube videos that may illustrate this for you but think of it as drawing drink through a straw, not too fast and not too shallow.
Also, you may want to read up about initial lighting of a pipe. You want to make sure that you get the whole surface of the started.
Keep asking questions and good luck.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
Thanks for the tips and everything guys!!!

I went to my local pipe store, And picked up a few new corncobs, and some dunhill early morning pipe, and im trying to not puff to fast, or not as often~ Puting it down when i get even e little tounge bite-takin it slow. hahah thanks again everyone!

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
PM me your mailing addy. I can set you up with a couple of decent briars and some tobacco. -bw

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
bwwithers now that is a real gesture as to the character of people on this site! So far I brought one over to the Dark SIDE!! muhahahahah. Another Vet like myself who found a little bit of peace in the pipe.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A hot pipe is due to smoking too fast. Take small sips, don't draw on the pipe. Smoking slowly allows better flavor and decreases wear on the mouth. Notice how hot the smoke is; you're asking tender oral tissues to absorb that, and they will complain until slow way down. This slowness runs counter to what we want. The pipe after all is an oral enjoyment; we want to take big puffs. We want "more!" Learning to accept "less" can be difficult and take some time.
I'm not sure if that cracked pipe needs to be retired. As long as it can be loaded and hold burning tobacco, I'd say it's fine. Along these lines it's not uncommon for guys to smoke pipes whose stems are cracked, and to do so for long periods. Perhaps this is not as aesthetically satisfying as smoking an intact pipe, but if the smoke remains good despite the damage, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.