Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
It started out as:
pWyTs.jpg

and now it is:
041h3.jpg

sshIk.jpg

I really should have read that this was Grade F briar ... grade F must be for "F*#$, I bought the wrong pre-bore kit"
But I managed to get this done with a sandpaper dremel tool, some 220 grit sandpaper, polishing compound and a buffing wheel.
I still have to read up on stains, and will probably try and stain this as firey red as I can get it.
Billiard is my least favorite shape, but I think the tobacky will taste extra sweet because I fashioned this myself.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
very nice. everything looks very smooth and incredibly even for using just a dremel.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
:puffy: It did turn out better than I expected.
The most difficult part is definitely the symmetry.
I just got done puffing some Great Hiatus through it. It's got a great wide open draft and is air tight, can thank Tim West and his expertise for that. It's also extremely light, a great clencher
But to my dismay, I puffed like I would any broken in pipe and there's a bit of burnout. Not too bad but it's not a good sign, but I'm wondering if it's going to develop a cake layer before the burnout gets really nasty.
The block is 50+ years old, and the wood is very dry.
Either way it's a learning experience.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Very cool zanthal. I love a billiard shape. I am gonna have to give this a try sometime. Looks like fun!

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
Really awesome! May I ask where you learned to do that? Did you apprentice someone? Buy a book?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Very nice Zanthal... especially if all you had was sandpaper... good lord that must have took some time and patience :)

Cant wait to see pics after you stain it

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
That looks like a great pipe, super for the first try IMO. I'd like to try it one of these days … Anywho, can't wait to see it stained/finished.

sinister

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2012
Central FL
Nice work! After seeing some of these types of threads, Im tempted to go out and try my hand at carving something up for myself. Problem is, cant narrow down what I shape I would want to do ;)

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Really awesome! May I ask where you learned to do that? Did you apprentice someone? Buy a book?
It really was just a few hours of painstaking attention to detail. I don't do this sort of thing barely ever and my left hand is still sore right now from it.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Even cheap briar will make a good smoking pipe. And cheap briar is what I'd be using until I had some experience under my belt. Won't make you cry near as much if you kill a block.
Not bad at all for your first try. I started out making pipes using a dremel and it works well. Keep at it
Your also correct about it being sweet smoking a pipe you made yourself.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Nice pipe, zanthal! I'm a fan of the saddle bit style. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.