PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
I may have been a member of the Pipe Club of London for well over a year but I had never been to one of the monthly meet-ups at James J.Fox - London Tobacconist.

I am not sure why I hadn't been before, but probably a combination of lack of time with some nervousness.

I arrived at JJ Fox at was instructed to go upstairs. I said it was my first meeting, so was directed towards some of the organisers. I was thoroughly warmly welcomed and introduced. I was offered a glass of Port, which I gladly accepted and started to fill my pipe.
We were very lucky to have the Mastro de Paja owner Alberto Montini as a guest with a large selection of his amazing and unique pipes. I fell in love fairly quickly with a large bent pipe that had a beautifully-textured sandblast finish, that sat in my hand perfectly. As I put it back down to ponder whether I could spend another £100 on a pipe (there was a generous one-off members' discount) another keen member spotted it and snapped it up! - Well the early bird and all that!
I continued to puff away and chat to an eclectic mix of fellow pipe-smokers. Young and old, some dressed in jacket and tie, some casual and one or two that could be on their way to a heavy metal concert! All were welcome! The room is exactly what you might expect from a traditional British smoking room. Wood panels, dark wooden tables and comfortable old leather couches and armchairs. What a wonderful atmosphere to smoke a pipe in! I usually smoke out in the garden or on walks, so it is a rare treat to be protected from the London winter in luxury, supping on port with a briar clenched in my mouth.
After recovering from missing out on my perfect pipe from Mastro de Paja I have to say what a pleasant couple of hours I spent in the company of some like-minded smokers in a the most salubrious of surroundings. If you're in London I would highly recommend joining and visiting.
:puffy:

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Beerandbaccy, thanks for sharing. I'm totally jealous you got to go AND during the meeting when Alberto was there. Nice. I hope to attend the April meeting. Maybe meet you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.