PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
a rank amateur i am, but was inspired by pipe carves i've seen here. got a ebauchon from 4noggins - next time i think i may have to try one without the stem already turned as that proved to cause some difficulties. currently it's sanded to 240 and waiting for stain and wax to arrive. been meaning to ask - what's the point of lighting the stain after applying it?
the start:
pipe1o.jpg

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
starting to shape:
pipe2s.jpg

and where i'm at now:
pipe3.jpg

lousy photos i know - only have my phone to take pictures.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
thanks for the very kind and supportive words. now if the stain and buffing stuff ever arrives i can continue. home depot had no buffing wheels i could use, so i chose to order everything online.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
stained and waxed (and smoked). i'm not completely satisfied with the stain job - came out uneven. either i should have stained when the wood was rougher, or i should have hit it again with another coat of stain between sanding it with 400 grit and polishing it. i hit it with a coat of yellow, then one of cherry. also in retrospect i should have mixed the 2 stains before applying them.
201111pipeside.jpg

201111pipetop.jpg

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i've been debating sanding (just enough to take the wax off) and re-staining with one more coat of cherry. i'm surprised. i've never had a new pipe that was bare wood inside with no carbonization or coating and thought it would taste woody, but this is actually a sweet smoke from the start. actually quite sweet. still going slow with only a couple 1/4 bowls and one full bowl at this point though.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i did reshape the stem and plan on going back to round the corners on the bit one of these days too. i showed my nephew (who's a cigarette smoker) and he immediately said "make me one" so i'll be doing one for him and another for myself one of these days.
grinding it down on a sanding wheel on my drill was fairly easy. sawing, not so much - might skip that part next time. the thing i had to keep reminding myself while using the wheel was to hold tight but use light touch. the natural tendency when trying to touch the wood lightly to the wheel is to lighten your grip too.

Status
Not open for further replies.