PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It would seem as though the ‘Let’s Carve a Pipe Kit’ project has died which is a real shame. If I remember correctly there was an associated thread for it called ‘Post Then Here’, or something similar to that but I can’t seem to find it any longer. Either way, I finally finished mine. No, it didn’t take me all this time to make it but simply a matter of not having any access to my workroom as I was having a lot of work done in the home. After many weeks I got desperate to work on it so I did some filing and sanding in my office (messy) and then eventually dragged out my motor and buffing wheels and clamped the motor down with some large ‘C ‘ clamps to my bar (again, messy) and finished it up. I also had a short time to access my drill press so I decided to add a personal touch and place in a decorative brass inlay on the stem. The detail of the brass inlay doesn’t show up in the picture so I’ve included a close up of what it looks like, but the brass inlays in the pipe stand show up more clearly (different design) due to their larger size.
The block was quite small so I didn’t have much leeway as for design. I could see right off that the block had some issues with it as far as what seemed to be a deep pit, but I was determined from the start to make a smooth bowl regardless of that and you can see a small pit on the left side. I was also determined that I was going to do a two tone stain which is a dark brown that I applied three times and sanded down after each application. I then applied three coats of a lighter stain which I also sanded down.
Anyway, after all this time I now have access to my workroom again so I also decided to make a pipe stand as it was great to get back in there. It’s made from black Micarta, Brazilian Rosewood and ivory Micarta with two decorative brass inlays. Sorry about the picture, but I had a difficult time in getting the grain to show up in the rosewood. Actually it’s a tad too fancy for my taste so the next one(s) I make will more likely than not be just some exotic wood, i.e. Zebra wood, Ebony, etc. with perhaps some small brass accents. Either way, I’m more interested in making more pipes rather than pipe stands and I’m looking forward to the next one, and the next one...
Bottom line, there is a great satisfaction in making your own pipe and after one or two more predrilled blocks I seriously want to make the stummel and stem from scratch, but that will take some time in getting the proper tools, and of course the ensuing cost.
Sorry, but pic. heavy...
1KqDnPL.jpg

6Cnp7Ra.jpg

zuWcLWL.jpg

83Bin9s.jpg

cYLQSqw.jpg

OgPsS7H.jpg

rATYmtj.jpg

q8nXvAw.jpg

Inlay on stem
Uou7Twv.jpg

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Wonderful work and a great read. I love the non-flat bowl top. While unconventional, more carvers should do that.
j/B

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Wanting to see more at the rim, but judging from the shape and the workmanship of this first pipe, phil67 you seem to have some Scandinavian ancestors. :clap:

Jan 8, 2013
The carving threads aren't dead, Phil :) They're just in hibernation. I've started another pipe myself and will be posting its progress as I did the first one.
Phil.... Wow, brother. What I did with my first pipe doesn't even touch what you did with yours. That's a pipe to be proud of for sure. Great job.
If you don't have the tools yet to do your own drills, check out vermontfreehand. The .com and the seller on ebay. You can choose any block, be it eubechon (can't remember the spelling lol) or plateau and he'll drill it for you. You can message him and ask him to drill it for bent, quarter bent etc. You then basically have a raw block that's just been drilled and you still have to do all the shaping, including the shank, yourself. I have three blocks from him now and it's a pleasure doing business with him. If you order a stem, ask him to shape the tenon as well.
I can't wait to see your second pipe, Phil. Amazing job on that one. :D

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Wow. Very nice. My "carve your own" first pipe is still in the works. Great to see another one finished as a little inspiration.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
If this is what you made without full access to your workroom and tools, I can't wait to see the next one.

Excellent looking pipe.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Thank you for the kind compliments which makes this ‘ol fart feel kinda good, and adds a bit of fuel to the fire to carry on further. Hey, something to do in my retirement rather than yelling at the kids to get off of my lawn and to stay away from my Gran Torino! :wink: Only joking of course as I enjoy watching the children play in my neighborhood while smoking a pipe on my front porch, and on occasion watching my granddaughter play with them when she visits.
I admittedly had somewhat of an advantage as I used to make handmade custom knives years ago and I held onto the rather expensive belt grinder I used, amongst other accumulated tools.
@ menuhin
Sorry, but I could have sworn that I included an image of the rim, but I somehow failed to upload it when I posted the images (if that is indeed what you are referring to).
K0zxZMB.jpg

@ anthonyrosenthal
Yep, Vermont Freehand is a great source and that is where I purchased some of my buffing wheels and a arbor adapter for the motor set up that I’m working on for sanding and buffing. As a matter of fact I plan on ordering a few blocks from him for my future endeavor(s). Also, as I certainly don’t wish to mislead or take wrongful credit in regards to the pipe stand. I only made the base and purchased the pipe stand piece from Vermont Freehand. It just comes as the 'wire piece' and it’s up to you to make whatever type of base you wish to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.