PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Hi all,
I am just about to buy my first pipe and tobacco and I would like to know your feedback on my choices.
I didn't want to spend too much money, but also didn't want to go with a cheep pipe. So I decided to study the available brands and their offer. I've decided that Peterson pipes have a good enough history to be considered a seasoned brand which can offer quality and good build.

I chose the model: Peterson Classic Dublin B10 having it found with an acceptable price: shop
As for tobacco I think I'll try (maybe not all of them at once):

- Peterson St Patricks Day 2018

- Peterson Aran Mixture

- Peterson Irish Dew

- Peterson Connoisseurs Choice
P.S. I am currently a cigar smoker, but I've tried pipes before and I love them.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Nice! Congrats!
As an ex cigar guy, if I may suggest the Pete's Irish Flake as one of your selections. Straight tobacco flavor that's unlike the others you selected. A Good counterpoint.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I second the Pete's Irish Flake. I have not had a problem with Peterson pipes either; great choice for a reasonably priced factory pipe!

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Thank you for suggesting Irish Flake. I actually don't know what is the thing with this "flakes" :) Does one just put them into the pipe? Do you have to manually grind them? I probably sound like a noob now :)
P.S. Regarding pure tobacco taste, I was thinking about Peterson's Old Dublin. Read good reviews about it.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
I haven't looked to German pipe brands (like Vauen), as I was actually looking for British/French ones.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Peterson's Old Dublin is a winner in its own right, don't hesitate to pull the trigger. As far as French pipes go, I'm a big fan of Chacom. Keep in mind I like factory pipes, but I believe the quality and workmanship should be based on the pipe in question rather the brand as such. There are good Petersons and crappy ones, that is a fact. I love my Peterson Aran 106 straight billiard and my Sterling Silver 80s bent Bulldog, but I was greatly disappointed with my Killarney 261. As far as Chacom is concerned, my Salsa 297 Canadian is a champ, but then again so is my Samba 44 bent Dublin and my Alize 815. Just because I like those 2 brands doesn't mean you won't find great pipes under many other marques. I'm proud to smoke Peterson pipes and I love many of their blends. Make up your own mind as around here you'll get some opinions to the extreme from both camps (Pro Peterson vs Anti Peterson).

smokeydogg

Lurker
Apr 30, 2018
I do not have as much experience as most on this forum, but Peterson Donegal rocky 338 P lip is my favorite pipe I own.

As a fellow cigar smoker, I find the Irish flake strong in nicotine and the head buzz I get is not always pleasant. I enjoy the Old Dublin more. My experience may be unique only to me.

If the direction you choose disappoints, don't be discouraged. The variety and possibilities is, in my opinion,the best part of the pipe smoking hobby.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
I forgot to mention that I already own a pack of Borkum Riff Ruby which I have enjoyed for the past week or so, smoking an old cheep pipe.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hi, bioshark, & welcome! I can't directly speak to the pipe myself, but Peterson is a well-regarded brand. Re the flake. you can either rub them out into shreds & load them into the pipe, or crumble them up, either way. Mac Baren's Navy Flake is also excellent choice for flake. A lot of the denizens here swear by flake & naught but. :)

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Having never owned a Vauen before I can't comment on that, but I have 5 Petersons of varying styles and they all smoke wonderfully, so no complaints there.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
@bnichols23 thank you for the clarifications regarding the flakes.

@exbenedict good to know.
I will probably order the pipe and tobacco in the following days and I'll come back with my verdict :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Flakes are great, but are a tad more difficult to prepare than ready rubbed blends. Extra drying is one key.
Good luck and enjoy!

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I own and enjoy several Petersens, but if I wanted to buy another pipe right now it would be a Savinelli, or the less expensive Rossi (basically the same). Pete's can be very good, but Savs are always dependable.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
A good starting pipe is a pipe in your price range. As long as it can be used, give it a try :)

I started from an estate pipe first. And the next month, I got my 2nd estate pipe :rofl:

More economical too me

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Order sent.
I've ordered the pipe Peterson Classic Dublin B10 and the following 3 tobacco's:

- Peterson Summertime 2018 / 100g (it just has become available today)

- Peterson Old Dublin / 50g

- Peterson Connoisseurs Choice / 50g
I'll post my thoughts after the order has arrived and I had a chance to try it out :)
Thank you all for your great feedback.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, i'm too late. I was going to vote no on Connoisseur's Choice, though I tried it years ago. It seemed to have edges and lack balance at the time, but now that you've ordered it, try it with an open mind. It might be something you'll like. And/or it might have improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.