PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yontz

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Super stoked! Just got this in the mail today. My first Peterson. Its a Fermoy 80s. The website, cupojoes, had it listed as ebony but it is a very dark brown. I was thinking it was black. Still, a nice pipe and feels great in the hand. I haven't smoked it yet but will start the break in period today.
PetersonFermoy80s-1.jpg

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Congratulations! All it takes is one and you're hooked, at least, that's what happened to me :lol: I absolutely love their bent bulldog shape. The smallish bowl makes for a very versatile pipe as well. I use it for stronger tobaccos, and for quick "before work" smokes or for whenever you can't commit the time a larger bowl commands. Im sure you'll enjoy your first Peterson, I know I did 8)

yontz

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Yep, I agree, ebony is black. And on the site it appears black. It is also an 80s which on the site was listed as just an 80. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 80 and the 80s though.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have a Peterson - same shape. It is a great pipe.
I didn't have any trouble braking mine in, but some people do, so give it a several long and slow smokes. You'll love it.
I think the bulldog is good for any kind of tobacco.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
As far as I know, feel free for anyone to correct me, 80 and 80s are both the bent bulldog shape. The "s" denotes a saddle stem. I assume the absence of the "s" means a regular stem. If yours is marked 80s but has the regular stem, it may mean it was originally destined for a saddle stem usually in conjunction with a p-lip. It could also mean, at the factory they're just marking them all 80s regardless of which stem will ultimately be fitted to it. Anyone else confused? :lol:

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Great pipe, technicaly Ebony is not in it's unstained form Jet black but a very dark brown, I have owned many guitars with Ebony fretboards that have not been jet black and have seen ebony piano keys where the dye has worn off and can see the dark brown grain showing.
Peterson Ebonys are brair stained Black and with long usage and a lot of cleaning it is common for the dye to rub of a bit, I think they look more natural in that stage of their lives. Enjoy it. :puffpipe:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Great Choice! I have a new Ebony Pete in the 303FT style and I am constantly amazed at how well it smokes. That bulldog should serve you well. Mine looks black in some light and very dark brown in others. I think the Ebony pipes are their smartest looking ones and I had been drooling over them since I started smoking pipes. I expected it to be a hot smoker because of the finish but it never gets above warm.

Jan 3, 2011
Florida
Great choice! I love the 80s shape, no matter what the color!! LOL I just got a new Peterson Barrel yesterday and can't wait to break her in. Welcome to the great world of Petersons! Enjoy!

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I have a Peterson Bulldog with a rusticated finish. One of my favorites, and in a very versatile size. Enjoy it.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Ebony, brown, 80, 80s...call it what you like, that is a beautiful pipe. I love the Peterson ebony finish my self, and that is a prime specimen. Happy puffing bro.

yontz

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Thanks Guys, I lit her up today and it was awesome. I was really surprised at how the tobacco had a completely different taste than in my meers or cob. But in a good way! Only smoked half a bowl and probably will for the next few smokes. Man it feels great in the hand. I really dig that shape.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Of all my pipe shapes my wife likes my bulldog the best. She says the diamond shank/stem gives it attitude. It's just an All-around great shape for a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.