PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hey everyone,
Fortunately here in Switzerland GL Pease blends are available; unfortunately they are about USD 28/tin.
I've never had a Pease blend before and I was looking for some recommendations before I drop almost 30 bucks on a tin. I am not a heavy English smoker--Frog Morton is the probably the strongest English I've had (if it can even be considered an English). As of late I've been enjoying a number of VA and VAPER blends including University Flake (nic hit is a bit much though), Capstan Blue, Deluxe Navy Rolls and ES 4th Gen 1931.
Not adverse to going toward the English direction, but don't want to get over my head--I've read that Pease's blends can be quite strong.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
MUST.....RESTRAIN...MYSELF.....TO...NOT....Saay....Gaaasss
Ok here's the thing. My favorite Pease blend by far is Gaslight. I would pay $32USD for a tin...and have done so many times in the past. Now granted that tin was for 8oz of pipe tobacco not just the 2oz one. Now if I was up against the laws for $28 per 2oz tin, I think Gaslight is still worth it.
Are you worried about the nicotine, or the flavor profile? For a "english" Chelsea Morning is pretty tame as far as strength goes but still has good flavor. I think that was mildest of the Pease blends that I've gone. I tend to look for the powerhouses. It's tough with Pease, because so many of his blends are so good. Have a look at the Laudisi catalog
Laudisi Catalog 2014
They have the Pease stuff listed with tobacco types, as well as a strength and flavor profile rating. Find what types of tobacco you enjoy, I'm willing to bet you cant go wrong with any choice when it comes to GL Pease
But.....I'm going to say it. Gaslight really is great.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I like the idea of Chelsea Morning being a recommendation to someone who isn't totally about full English blends. I think of Chelsea Morning as a heavily-condimented Virginia blend, with little wisps of latakia and perique coming and going, while the orientals provide a constant background note. A true statement of what tobacco blending can be.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I would say Union Square. Great pure Virginia flake with a lot of natural VA sweetness without any bite.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Pipefish:
Given the title of your thread, I thought that you were asking which was the first Pease blend? The answer to that question may be found in an old, old nursery rhyme:
Pease porridge hot

Pease porridge cold

Pease porridge in the pot, nine days old
Apparently the first two lines refer to the fact that this blend could be enjoyed in any weather, whereas the last appears to be the first recorded reference to the vaunted delayed-gratification technique, and indicates that it is best enjoyed in a large-bowled pipe!
Sadly, Pease Porridge blend is apparently no longer available.
(Sorry, I'm in a poetic mood this evening, and could not resist the fun this punny rhyme presented).

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
As of late I've been enjoying a number of VA and VAPER blends
I'd recommend GLP Fillmore or Union Square for you .. I'm really liking JackKnife Plug right now myself.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
So it looks like I can go in two different directions. For English either Chelsea Morning or Maltese Falcon and for VA/Vaper Union Square or Fillmore, with Cumberland KY/Perique/VA mix as a potential third option. Perhaps I'll get one of each? :lol:
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions--now I'm off to my B&M today to see what he has in stock.
@defargin--thanks for the Gaslight recommendation--I know it gets very high reviews from Forum members but I'm taking a bit more of a gradual approach to Englishes! And thanks so much for the Laudisi Catalog link--very helpful and full of good info.
I hope this thread will help other members who are relatively new to the pipe and/or to Pease blends to have some guidance.

owen

May 28, 2014
I have the same feeling they are available in the UK at about $35 for 2oz plus postage on top. I have been trying to narrow the choices down for a few weeks and this thread will certainly help

owen

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
You have to really like perique for Fillmore to be good for you. I used to love Fillmore. Now I merely like it, as my taste for perique has developed into preferring more subtlety.

Status
Not open for further replies.