PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
So i made my own blend by pressing my own recipe into a kake for a few days in a homemade pvc and c-clamp press. The blend is mostly virginia with added spice from perique and orientals and latakia.
Out of the press, the tobacco is harsh for roughly the first half and then develops into what i want (nice and sour and smokey and sweet) for the 2nd half until the dottle or so.
Why would the blend be harsh at first light and down to the halfway point? What is the typical cause of this and is there any solution?
By harsh, i mean it is sharp and sort of burning at the back of the mouth with an ashy flavour that overpowers everything else.
You would think that the flavour would start great and then become ashy, not the other way around.
Anyone have an idea? Is this a lack of time in the press; not enough age on the tobaccos; or...?
Thanks!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
First of all, are you familiar with smoking all or any of the blend components separately, it could have nothing to do with your pressing...

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
I have and haven't experienced the same thing with the individual components.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
The tobacco is wrapped in patchment paper, so the pvc does not affect the tobacco.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Maybe the best thing to do is wait. Letting it age a few months may mellow it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.