PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Finally pulled the trigger on my first properly branded briar pipe, a Peterson Irish Made Army shape 160. I have been smoking infrequently for just over 3 years, and so far have amassed a small but varied collection of jarred bulk tobaccos with one basket briar and two cobs to smoke them in. The smallish size and weight of this Peterson should make it a great clencher for going on walks and reading. This will be my first bent pipe as well, making it even better suited to its intended role. I think it's quite handsome, but practical and perhaps even a bit understated in its looks. Now the waiting begins!
002-029-39420.5595.jpg

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
What a great choice. That's a really nice looking pipe, Macaroon, and very similar to what I've been looking to get for my first Peterson. Smallish, understated, handsome-- perfect.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Congrats! That’s a wonderful Peterson and it will be a great edition to your collection and rotation. Enjoy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I really like the look of army mount pipes. Simple with an elegant flow. Very nice! :clap:

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Thanks all! Embers, I've always been partial to the style and utility of army mounts, so I was very pleased to find one that checked all the right boxes

bwhiteside

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
Got my first Peterson for Christmas. It's a Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker Natural. A great smoking pipe, but still getting used to the p-lip.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
The pipe has arrived! Overall, I'm quite pleased. Besides it's positive aesthetic qualities, it's lighter and even more clenchable than I'd hoped while still sporting a bowl plenty large enough to satisfy me (~.75 x 1.5 in). My tolerance for nicotine is fairly low, so often just half a bowl is about all I can do. The only real flaw I found was that the stem was bent very poorly; when seated in the mortise, the bit was off-kilter by a good 20 degrees. Luckily a few turns in a hot water bath and some elbow grease got it bent back into proper alignment, but it makes me wonder whether this is a common issue with factory pipes and stems? Other than that minor hitch, things are looking good. It has handled its first two smokes of C&D Pegasus and C&D Virginia Gentleman quite well!
img_20190106_131646076_hdr-600x364.jpg

img_20190106_131614275_hdr-600x404.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.