PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
so I got my first order of tobacco. hearth and home daybreaker, 10 to midnight, and cbk. smoking my first bowl of 10 to midnight right now. this is the first bowl of tobacco I have had with any latakia in it and I am disappointed. the flavors I am picking up are bath soap and burnt road tar. it's overwhelming. perhaps I should have started with a milder latakia blend. I will not give up on it just yet. I am going to smoke the while ounce before I pass judgment, but right now i'm, really wondering how so many of u guys smoke this stuff. comments? suggestions?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

As a courtesy to the Membership; kindly use your shift key.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I don't know anything about that blend in particular, but I do love Latakia blends. I also tend to like smoky flavors of all sorts from barbecue to lapsang souchong tea, which to me has a very similar smoky quality to the flavor of Latakia.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I didn't get emp cuz I couldn't afford it at the time. daybreak claims to be similar so I bought an ounce of that instead. I really wanted to enjoy it as I do dark lagers and strong ales, but I found myself powering through it just to finish the bowl. I really did not enjoy it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've never had "10 to Midnight", but I have wanted to try it. As far as a first Latakia blend, I'd recommend one of the Frog Morton blends such as, Across The Pond, On The Town, or Cellar. These are top notch blends that are great for an introduction to Latakia.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
Yeah, well, Latakia isn't anything like a strong ale. If it's like any beer -- and it's really not -- it's like a rauchbier (which, despite my affinity for smoky flavors I never loved).

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
It is am acquired taste, but I would stick with it - you will probably not enjoy the first bowl or two. Do you remember the first time you ever tasted alcohol??
The one I started with was Peterson Old Dublin. Quite a light English blend and still one of my favourites. It is reported to have some Basma leaf in it which sweetens things a bit. Another blend with Basma and lighter on the Latakia is Frog Morton On The Town. Try one of these first (prob the FMOTT) then you can try your other blend again.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Never tried 10 to Midnight, but I do enjoy some latakia. It's a bit of an acquired taste. If Daybreaker is anything like EMP it will be mild in the latakia department and maybe a good introduction for your palate. Better than continuing to try to power through an ounce or two of 10 to Midnight.
A light-on-the-latakia blend that I enjoy (aside from EMP) is 4Noggins Bald-Headed Teacher. A good blend, always, and I suspect a good blend for anyone new to latakia.
Some folks do find latakia to be soapy tasting and I guess that's why everyone is not a latakia fan. Try the lighter blend for a bit. Don't hurt yourself. My bet is that it'll grow on you.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If it's as heavy a blend as it seems, any of the "light blend" recommendations should work. To make a semi-valid comparison, you may have started with the tobacco equivalent of a strong dopplebock when a medium lager would've been a fairer introduction. I don't see any similarity between the flavors of latakia blends and beers, but I will say they pair well! If latakia was similar to a drink, it would probably be heavily peated Islay Scotch or the lapsang souchong (which I really, really need to find and try).

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I think Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture is pretty light in the Latakia flavor department. And of course, the Dunhill Early Morning Pipe recommendations also work. Though, EMP is extremely light in Latakia flavor. Frog Morton original has a sweetness to it.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Daybreak is one of the Latakia blends I picked up early on, and it's relatively mild and pleasant (compared to, say, Black House...). Of course, I'm one of the weirdos who immediately took to the smokiest, peatiest Scotches upon first tasting them, and I LOVE Lapsang Soucham tea - so as with so many things, your mileage may vary.
I keep seeing folks (in this thread and elsewhere) recommend Frog Morton original as a good 'crossover' Latakia blend - if Daybreak is still more of a chore than a pleasant smoke, I'd dial it back to that one and try again. And if that doesn't do it, you may be one of those unfortunates who simply doesn't like Latakia. Which means more for me! :D

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
+1 for Frog Morton original, and Bald Headed Teacher. Good intros to the latakia world.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I have tried a large amount of hearth and homes blends and the only one I was disappointed in was 10 to midnight. H&H makes so many better lat blends and one of my favorite Vapers *anniversary Kake*. I would also suggest any of the frog Morton blends as a cross over into Lat or English blends in general. Very tasty stuff, actually smoking FM cellar right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.