PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Now I wish I had the gift of writing bacci reviews like our other great pipers here. I will keep it short/sweet...if you love Full English blends and/or Balkan blends....STOCK as much of this as you can in your cellar ( I know I'm heading over to SP.com to get another pound or three ( They also sell this blend in 8oz Tins....PERFECT! ) :worship:
To give some background on English/Balkan blends I crave to help gauge this one; Boswell's Northwoods, C&D's Star of the East, C&D's Billy Budd, C&D's Bow-Legged Bear, C&D's Crooked Lane, GL's Gaslight, Esoterica Penzance, LJ Peretti's Royal and Omega blends, H&H's Larry's Blend, Low Country's Cooper, MB's HH Lat Flake ( it should be in-hand today and I'm sure it will make this list Gents ), NYPC Jack's Shanty, All the MC Frog's, H&H's Blackhouse, H&H's Mag Opus, H&H's Cerberus...That should give all good base insight to my first impression on GL's Odyssey I think :wink:
From TR.com
Odyssey is huge - the biggest of the Pease blends. It's loaded with Latakia and harmonized by exotic Orientals. Wonderful red and jet-black stoved Virginias provide a perfect counterpoint.
Notes: From GL Pease: Ever since I started smoking a pipe, I've been in love with the rich fragrance of fine Cyprian Latakia. There's something warm and comforting about it; the deep blackish brown colour, the fascinating texture of the leaf, the wonderful smells of campfires and leather. It's an assertive leaf that can be, and often is, easily overdone. If the supporting tobaccos are bold enough, though, and have enough character, something BIG can be produced that still has refinement, elegance, and balance.
Odyssey is big. There's no doubt it's loaded with Latakia, but that's much more to it. Exotic oriental tobaccos abound, and wonderful matured red and jet-black stoved Virginias provide a perfect balance, both in the tin aroma and in the flavour of the dense smoke. I worked on this for months, tuning the proportions carefully until it was exactly the blend I was after
The first match yields big puffy clouds of beautiful smoke. The flavour is bold and assertive, but still refined. The Latakia's spice is balanced by the sweetness of the Virginias, and they have a marvelous conversation, while the oriental tobaccos play Baroque quartets in the background. Or, is it belly-dancing music? If you're a Latakia lover, Odyssey will surely enthrall you.
The high percentage of dark tobaccos dictate a delicate hand when packing for best smoking.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Nice review. I am going to have to add this to my need to purchase list.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Crap. Last time I was in Smokers' Haven they had one tin of Odyssey. I was on the fence about it but decided I'd already spent enough, so I left it there. Maybe I need to make another trip - poor, poor, pitiful me.... :)

Jul 12, 2011
:)
You think you have TAD....Now I have major PAD because since

finding this blend I found yet another perfect English blend

dedicated pipe that I MUST HAVE for this one :-(
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=143687

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Well if you are going to smoke a perfect tobacco you got to have the perfect pipe.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
In my experience, the latakia in Odyssey is so "big" that it really doesn't fade much over time. At least, I haven't had any tins old enough to show signs of mellowing, and that includes tins with 10 years of age on them.
Bob

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Nice review dragon, very nice indeed. I got a sample of this (1/2 oz. i believe) from SPC with my order a couple weeks ago and have tried it out a couple times. I agree with your review, it is definitely heavy on the latakia and orientals and this is apparent from the spark to the dottle. It is well balanced though and is truly a relaxing smoke all the way through. I got my five tins of HH LatFlake in yesterday and fired that up immediately with fantastic results, so i don't think i'll be buying any odyssey in the near future. It is a great blend though and i would definitely recommend it to any lat and oriental fans. G. L. Pease doesn't make a bad tobacco blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.