PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Here is my review of Samuel Gawith’s 1792 Flake. I know to give a fully-qualified review, it would probably be better to have smoked a few pounds of this tobacco, so I’ve labeled this “first impressions” to leave open the door that my taste and understanding may evolve over time. I’ve divided the review into entirely arbitrary, nonstandard sections.
Expectations:

I find expectations have a lot to do with my experience of a new blend, so I’ll go ahead and list what I expected going into my first 1792 experience.

-This was supposed to be a stinker of a tobacco. I’ve heard it compared to everything from a tire fire to engine grease to manure.

-1792 Flake is supposed to have a huge nicotine kick.

-As with many blends with “Gawith” in the name, I had heard the tobacco comes quite wet.

-There is a tonquin (tonka bean) topping that I’d either love or hate. I’ve seen some forum-goers even go so far as to compare it to Lakeland flavorings. I was interested to see what this would be like. Some reviewers described it as vanilla-like, and I thought, “How could a bean smell like vanilla?” only to immediately recall that vanilla does in fact come from a bean.
Tin Note:

I was actually quite surprised by the tin note. I was expecting much worse. This just smelled like beef jerky. I couldn’t detect the tonquin at all at first, but to be fair, I had just opened up the other items in my Pipes and Cigars order—Ennerdale and Dark Flake Scented. It’s no wonder this topping seemed mild in comparison. I didn’t actually notice the tonquin flavoring until after I rubbed out some of the flakes. I washed my hands, and the tobacco smell washed away while the tonquin stayed, so I could discern it apart from the overall tin note.
Preparation and Smoke:

The flakes were, as I had expected, very moist. But this moistness was a bit different than what I’ve seen with other moist blends. I’d describe it as more oily than wet. I discovered with my G&H Sweet Maple Twist that I needed to let the tobacco dry a bit after rubbing it out to avoid the pain of constant relights. In the past, I’ve had some odd resistance to drying my tobacco out, and have smoked it too moist on a few blends, but my experience with the G&H Twist changed my attitude. I let the flakes dry out until they were at an appropriate level of moisture and then, after I had rubbed out a couple of flakes, I let the rubbed out portion dry further.
This tobacco smoked more cleanly than any I’ve ever smoked. I was very surprised by this. I’ve smoked a bowl down to a white ash before (Royal Yacht does this beautifully), but what surprised me about this smoke was how little ash was left at the end. I started with a fully packed bowl, but ended up with what seemed like a millimeter of ash in the bottom of the pipe. I don’t know if this is good or bad—it doesn’t seem that it would matter—but there was something satisfying about so thoroughly smoking through all of the tobacco.
There was no bite. I did have to relight a couple of times because of brief interruptions to my smoke. Otherwise, I think it would have easily smoked cleanly all the way through. I don’t mind a few relights, but I thought I’d mention, since they seem to bother some so much.
I think a lot of how well the tobacco smoked was because I took the time to dry it out thoroughly. I wouldn’t want to try smoking it as it came.
Flavor:

Here was another surprise: I expected some rank, manly stench from this tobacco. Not so. It was manly, but not rank: a smooth, deep and rich flavor. I noticed a nutty burley taste coming through from the Kentucky, combined with a flavor from the Virginias sort of akin to what one tastes in Royal Yacht. I assume that Virginias-on-steroids flavor is the dark-fired Tanzanian leaf. I am still a new smoker, and so it’s difficult for me to draw comparisons since I have a small pool to draw from, but this was a bit like a richer, meatier Irish Flake—if Irish Flake’s flavor profile matched its nicotine punch.
The tonquin topping was far milder than I expected —in fact, I could hardly discern it at all while smoking. I expected 1792 to be like Royal Yacht in composition—a really strong tobacco with a mild topping. I still think that description could be fairly applied to 1792, but to my palate the tonquin was about 25% as strong as the plum topping on Royal Yacht is. The tobacco itself was very much in the forefront, and if I had not heard so much about the topping before, I probably would not have noticed it at all. I’m sure this reveals my plebian palate, but I think it’s worth mentioning in case the topping has scared some people off.
Another surprise: my wife was a fan. She actually interrupted me mid-smoke for a brief make-out session (too much info!—sorry) and didn’t mind the aroma at all. Perhaps tonquin has unknown aphrodisiac qualities? Though she loves aromatics, in the past she has said she wasn’t so much a fan of how Royal Yacht, Five Brothers, and Nightcap smelled, but said 1792 just smelled “smoky”—not “like a cigarette,” which is her go-to insult for any tobacco.
Nicotine Kick:

1792 is reputed for its strength, and it deserves this reputation. I enjoy strong blends, and this was the first time I actually contracted the “niccups” I’ve always heard about. Toward the middle of the bowl I felt some nicotine creeping up on me, and thought maybe I should give it a rest, but instead just puffed right through it. I felt the nicotine hit was actually about the strongest I’ve felt, though I didn’t get the sick feeling I sometimes have when aggressively smoking a strong blend. I felt light-headed, buzzed, glued to my chair a bit, but not sick—which is nice, because I like the former and hate the latter. I doubt that this had anything to do with the tobacco—it was probably just how hydrated I was or how much food I happened to have on my stomach.
I’d put this right up there with Irish Flake, G&H Twist, and Royal Yacht as far as nicotine content.
In Summary:

Overall, this was a great, rich smoke. 1792 Flake may have just edged out Royal Yacht for what I’ll go for when I want a strong, substantial smoke with a husky flavor profile.

Reactions: White_Rice

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This looked way too long, but it's well done and really captures the experience, including the indelible presence of tonquin after you washed your hands. I'm not a pipe designation guy, but I'd make an exception for Lakelands. Those tobaccos are sort of like getting a second dog, a whole new level of endeavor. They either become your preferred way, or they haunt you for years. Good review. This doesn't motivate me to order 1792, but it serves as fair warning if I became inclined.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I also think 1792 is a rich, great smoke well deserving of a try by serious pipers. It does need quite a time to dr out so plan accordingly.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Very good, well thought out review. I tried 1792 about ten years ago and hated it, as of late I have been getting into Lakelands and will give 1792 another try.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I’m not one to bother myself with a review that seems to read too long, but I’ll have to say that was well done. I’ve never tried 1792, and with your review (amongst others) I seriously doubt that I ever will. I also enjoy Royal Yacht, but if one has a difficult time to wash the scent out of their hands after packing a bowl that would definitely be a complete turn off for me. Then again, I’d rather shave my head with a cheese grater while sliding down an asphalt shingled roof bare naked on a hot summer day than smoke any Lakeland blend such as Ennerdale. But, if you found a blend that you enjoy that is all that matters.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I'm not a big fan of tonquin. It's not a repulsive thing to me, just not something I like enough to purchase more of. Great review.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Might check out Lakeland Dark - 1792 without the tonquin. No Lakeland florality... just the name.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
A well written, thoughtful review. As for reviews in general I find them to be only marginally useful. I'm interested in what types of tobaccos a blend may contain and whether the tobacco is topped, but beyond that reviews are accurate only for the reviewer. Too many variables: one's body chemistry, personal taste, style of smoking, pipe type, moisture content, etc. etc. Despite the fact that my experiences are almost guaranteed to differ from someone else's, I do enjoy reading a serious and thoughtful review. Thank you for yours.
1792 is one of my top three favorite smokes, along with University flake and Irish Flake.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Very nice review. 1792 is one of my favorites.

When fresh, the Tonquin flavor is stronger, more forward, and mellows with aging, in as little as 3-6 months. At 2-3 years it is very mellow, while the tobacco flavors are deeper, richer, & slightly sweeter. So, I suggest jarring several tins for the cellar to revisit in 6 months, & then again at 1-3 years.
@bonehead: I think that SG's Lakeland Dark is a mere shadow of 1792 without Tonquin, though this may improve with aging. The sadly discontinued SG Bracken Flake was 1792 without Tonquin. Unfortunately, Lakeland Dark is not the reincarnation of Bracken Flake.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
What is the color out of the can? I was gifted some 1792 and it is a dark black brown. I wonder how aged mine is?
I like the 1792 and the bracken flake. They are pretty moist still so I will set some out this morning to have tonight.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well done. 1792 was my exclusive smoke for years until the "Great Samuel Gawith" shortage some years ago when it became impossible to get here. Now that it's easier to get it is back in my rotation along with Cob Plug. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I'm glad you guys enjoyed the review, despite its length!
One thing I would say is that I wouldn't really compare 1792 to Lakeland Blends at all. I also had Dark Flake Scented and Ennerdale from G&H. These blends smell more like herbal teas, while 1792 doesn't have that smell at all for me. Also, the topping is FAR stronger on these more classic Lakelands. If Ennerdale topping is at 100% in strength, I'd estimate Dark Flake Scented would come in at about 25% of that, and 1792 at 5-10%. It's a very mild topping in comparison with these other Lakeland blends, and to my nose, and entirely different scent, although I know Dark Flake Scented is supposed to have some tonquin somewhere in there.
What is the color out of the can? I was gifted some 1792 and it is a dark black brown. I wonder how aged mine is?

If I had some, I'd take you a picture, but it's quite dark. I found a picture online that looks identical to mine as far as color goes:

1792.jpg

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
As for reviews in general I find them to be only marginally useful. I'm interested in what types of tobaccos a blend may contain and whether the tobacco is topped, but beyond that reviews are accurate only for the reviewer. Too many variables: one's body chemistry, personal taste, style of smoking, pipe type, moisture content, etc. etc. Despite the fact that my experiences are almost guaranteed to differ from someone else's, I do enjoy reading a serious and thoughtful review. Thank you for yours.
I agree with this. I enjoy reading the reviews, but ultimately I just have to try things for myself to see whether or not I like them.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
That's quite the first impression! Unfortunately, first impressions don't mean much to me. However, your third impression is important. Please let us know how number three goes ;)

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for the pic. That is about what I have here. Drying it out all day made it really crumbly - I did not expect that! It is smoking well though.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the pic. That is about what I have here. Drying it out all day made it really crumbly - I did not expect that! It is smoking well though.
Yeah, I only dried the flakes part way, and then further dried the rubbed out flake I had prepared to smoke. I figured I could leave the full flakes themselves with a little moisture so they'd keep for longer. It's not the sort of blend I'll smoke through a tin in a week. :)

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Thanks! I'll have to bust out my tin, I had cracked into one, smoked one bowl, than cellered, that was probably a year ago or more, time to revisit after this review.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
UPDATE.....I purchased a tin at a local B&M today, to see if my impression from ten years ago still stood. Tonight I opened the tin and laid out two flakes to dry a bit, as the tobacco was quite moist. After about 25 minutes I crumbled up the two flakes and packed up one of my meers. Nope, I was right ten years ago, this shit is GOD-AWFUL! I saw no resemblance to any of the Lakelands at all, rather there is a putrid/ashtray flavor that was revolting to me. Those of you who do enjoy this tobacco will get no competition from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.