PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I scored a 250gr box of this on one of the pre-holiday TAD madness affairs.
It's sat on the pile, beckoning to me, calling from its glossy cello wrap like some cheap hussy--
Er, excuse me...
Today, Mama has a day long class, so I am catching up on chores, like jarring up the aforementioned pile of pipe tobacco.
These long and thick flakes were, as predicted, damp.
I cut the length of the stack to fit vertically into a wide mouth pint sized canning jar. I fit half of the shorter segments into the jar beside the longer segments and kept the other half out for more immediate use.
Two of the shorter segments, dried for 20 minutes, folded and stuffed into the Hilson Vintage panel, are the subjects here.
Maintaining my standard of under-drying, it took about 10 minutes of fussing to get a good ember going.
Strong Perique pepper and spice, along with the two-pronged sweet fruit attack of both the Perique and the Virginias.
As I approached half way in, the spice settled down a bit and the darker, chewy fruit flavor increased. Nice, slow burn with an occasional touch up light.
Half way in, the pipe got a bit warm (see, I CAN learn new tricks) and I looked out the window to be reminded that the neighbor's blanket of fallen cottonwood leaves was still slowly killing my weedy excuse for a front lawn.
So, I grounded the Hilson and grabbed the rake. Forty minutes later, chisel the sides, tamp and relight. The perique now has gone full fruity, little to no spice and the chocolatey tones have emerged, mixed with the deep fruitiness. Not unlike the late stages of an ODF flake, plus the tiniest bit o' spice.
This second half is incredibly hassle-free and satisfying. I would almost recommend a half time intermission with this smoke in hopes of recreating the effect.
Stay smokey, my friends...
jay-roger.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the tip on letting the bowl rest at the halfway point. This might be especially useful for large capacity pipes, where one prep and load can serve for two distinct sessions.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm a great lover of VaPer blends, St. James Flake included. However I find it to be milder than the many US VaPers I have tried. As you point out Jay, this one is more fruity than spicy.
The polar opposite for me would be McClelland's #2015, a bold fruity and spicy blend. I usually smoke a bowl of each every day.
Regards,
Jay.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I was working my way through a tin of this before Christmas and was enjoying it very much. It may be time to finish the tin off.
Thanks for the reminder.

samw74

Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
St. James Flake is one of my favorite VaPers. A few months back, I was fortunate to acquire a pound, with about 5 years of age.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I do not have that many Gawith selections in my stockpile, but in terms of poundage it's #2. I have AMPLE supply of FVF and SJF in aging. High quality and a great foundation for a cellar.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Thanks for the review.

Haven't smoked any in a long time. Maybe I'll pull out a jar and see what's happened over the years.

I agree with sable, I need to revisit I did enjoy it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
St. James Flake is one of the best VaPers ever created! If only the Plug was available in the States, I’d be all over it.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I'd love to try the plug version. Has anyone ordered from the EU? How's the pricing?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You basically need to know someone that lives over there these days. Most places that carry it won’t ship to the States. GQ used to but the new owner no longer allows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.