PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My daughter Pennye gave me a Peterson Irish Harp 80s as a combined birthday/Christmas present. The photo doesn't do it justice:

264A1178-987B-4C1F-9F5D-D09B6288A769-7745-00000731358CF93F.jpg

There has been some discussion lately about the quality of Peterson pipes in recent years, so I thought I would share.

The pipe has a deep walnut stain, which does highlight the grain, mostly straight around the circumference of the bowl, and mixed along the stem. It does tend to be very light along the sharp edges of the stem and grooves. The Peterson stamping is shallow: appears as Pe rson in an arch with a very shallow "of Dublin" beneath. IRISH HARP is more deeply stamped below. 80s is deeply stamped on the opposite side, very clearly. The sterling band is firmly attached, bright, and the stamping is perfectly centered and clear. The acrylic brindle stem is also perfectly flush, firmly set, and has the attractive silver "P" symbol, allbeit with a portion on the tail washed out. The button is perfect.

Inside of the chamber there is a gray pre-coating. The air passage is a hair off center, and a hair above the bottom of the conical bowl. A pipe cleaner passes freely. The draw is free and easy.

I loaded three pinches of Sterling Old Dominion, gave it a light, tamped, and lit again. Initially, I tasted the tobacco, then picked up a chemical taste that I suspect was from the bowl coating, as I do not get that from Old Dominion in my other pipes. The chemical note persisted till mid bowl and faded, leaving me again tasting the tobacco. Shortly afterward, a relight was required, and I tamped prior to doing so. The bottom third of the bowl released the nutty flavor and woody fragrance that I associate with a good briar pipe, and it persisted until the end of the bowl. It cleared easily with a few bumps on a cork knocker.

My conclusion is that the pipe is going to be an excellent smoking pipe, and the fit is excellent. No flaws in the briar are apparent, but the staining and stamping could be a little better. All in all though, I am happy with it, since the smoking qualities are really what makes a good pipe.

Just as a side note, my daughter selected this pipe on her own, without any input from me. Out of 70 pipes, I only have 2 bent bulldogs, one Rhodesian, and 9 (now 10) Peterson's.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Very nice pipe, especially considering the source! :clap: Congrats.

I think Peterson's 80s is the most comfortable pipe shape ever made (by anybody) -- perfect length, feel, weight and balance.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As a self-proclaimed fanatic of "funky stems" I am a proud owner of two Irish Harps myself. An XL02 and a 999.
the staining and stamping could be a little better.

This is exactly the same observation I made on both. The stamping on the silver band on my 999 is nearly unreadable and the stain on the XL02 is a little uneven. However, both pipes are excellent smokers and have been regulars in my rotation.
Excellent gift, perfect purchase and congratulations on the addition to the fold !

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Let me just say that Peterson's 80s shape is growing to be my favorite one in their line. Love it! That Harp looks great!
-Jason

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Nice pipe!
My favorite shape from any maker is always a bent bulldog and there is something about the proportions of the Peterson 80s that especially pleases me. (Just lover the chunky, tapered stem.) I hit the jackpot with an 80s I bought last year. I like the clean look without a silver or nickel band, although the harp series are lovely.
80s.jpg

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
I have a Peterson Aran 80s,,looks very similar to the harp, and at the present time, is my favorite pipe..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love the 80s and particularly the Irish Harp line, what a beauty! I missed a 1989 80s Silver Spigot that SmokingPipes had a few weeks ago, it didn't last long.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Sweet 80s Rigmedic -Congrats. Stampings a little light on my Flame Grain 80s too but I'm not complaining. I must agree with cortez the 80s is one heck of a comfortable pipe.
004-2.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks for the comments all. The stamping on my estate Grafton 999 is also very faint. But I have to admit, these Peterson's have been splendid to smoke, and are otherwise very well put together. Definitely, in my opinion, a great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.