PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've been at the hobby and on these forums for about five years now, so I'm way overdue for trying this blend. Anyways, here's my first impressions of the blend after a couple bowls.
The moisture level is almost ideal in the tin I received. I haven't given it any dry time and it loads and packs well, it takes a char and true light nicely, and it burns very evenly and cool to a nice white ash.
The tin note I get from it is definitely hay and raisins. Very much a sweet Virginia aroma.
The flavor I'm getting is mostly the hay and some citrus and apricot flavor. The Perique is there, but not so noticeable in the flavor profile.
As far as the nicotine goes it's more on the mild side.
The room note I'd say is pleasant. It won't please like an aromatic such as 1Q, but it won't have the spouse filing for a divorce like some of the heavy English/Balkan blends can.
To me this would be a good blend for an aromatic smoker looking to branch out into more natural blends that aren't heavily topped. I think it'd also be a nice blend for people that typically smoke heavy English, Balkan, or VaPer blends looking for a lighter blend to change the pace or cleanse the palate.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I love OGS when I need a break from my usual English rotation. Nice write up, you made me want some later today after work!

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I am new to the VaPer tobaccos, and I recently found OGS. I am liking it a lot.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the review lordofthepipering. I like OGS very much, I opened a new tin of it last Friday for my current rotation.

I agree with your consensus. In regard to specific fruit you have a better developed palette than I. Friends I have smoked by in the recent past, on the patio, said the room note was not offensive. But the public might not be as generous, times being what they are. :roll:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The presentation is superb. The tobacco is sufficient. It's good. It's not the end all flake, but, it works fine.

I got some due to all the hype and wanted to satisfy my curiosity. I think that PS LNF is at least as good and very similarly presented.

I'm really enjoying some of Newminster's Superior Navy Flake recently. No perique but a very tasty smoke with perhaps a tad more vitamin N than OGS. One reviewer suggested that the tin note was of pineapple. I don't know for sure, but I open my jar up just to smell it once in awhile. The 'tin note' to me is delicious.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OGS is as good again when you smoke it after years of enjoying it. The makers have found an essence of good Virginias, nothing fancy but the delight of unfolding the goodness that is there, subtle, nuanced and pure pleasure.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A staple tobacco. Like always having milk and bread in the house, I have to have some OGS around. As you've stated it's pretty much goof proof and it's not a complicated blend that requires your undivided attention.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
You know, I haven't been able to love that stuff...but I've had some in a jar for over a year...might need to revisit.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
I have tried many times but just can't get by the lakelandish flavor.
But, as always, smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Very nice review. I haven't smoked OGS in a while. I do remember that I didn't like it at first but I left the tin open for about a day, shuffled the flakes around, covered it up and put it away for a few months. I revisited it after some time and it really was an enjoyable smoke. After reading this thread I wish I had some prepared for the coming summer months. I just might have to pick some up this week. I feel a TAD spell is just about due.

Status
Not open for further replies.