Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

first impression of p-lip.

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

the cyber monday was good to me. got peterson sh milverton with p-lip. only had a chance for a bowl so far. it was a different experience from fishtail. i think i like p-lip. it definitely help with tongue. draw was free, but using the diaphragm to pull seems to work better. much easier to sip. will have to use the pipe more to see how it works out in the long run. might need another pipe with p-lip to compare.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one p-lip. It is interesting from time to time but I am not looking for a second. It really just redirects the smoke for me, which is not the most necessary for my smoking technique.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The p lip has its fans and detractors that's for sure. I have one on a 1950 K&P and it smokes great. It did take some used to with smoke hitting the top of my mouth first though.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never trusted the damn things.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

I'm a fan. It hangs well for me, and I don't mind the direction of the smoke as long as I'm not puffing to hard on it.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy my one P-lip, a Killarney Rhodesian 999. It's more bit in your mouth, and the intake is repositioned. I find it a little distracting, too much bit, but pleasant enough. I wouldn't order another. Fishtails seem almost undetectable to me, in a good way.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a huge fan...if I could convert every pipe I own to a p-lip, I would. they are perfect for my clenching style and smoking style.

YMMV

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have about 7 seven pipes with P-lip and I have one pipe that is a Glokar (BBB's answer to a P-lip. I like them. I'm actually indifferent as to smoking them. I just grab one and puff.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It directs the smoke to the roof of your mouth instead of your tongue. Both can be irritable if you smoke a lot, so it is best to smoke some of each.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The roof of my mouth is more sensitive than my tongue to burns. Taking a bite of hot pizza, so hot that the cheese sticks to the roof of my mouth like napalm, is the worst experience ever. And, P-lips are a close second for me.

Michael
    Posted 1 month ago #
  11. kiltedpiper

kiltedpiper

Login to Send PM

Honestly, I've never had a problem with my p-lip pipe. Its nice for variety and very comfortable, but I have yet to notice any kind of difference in flavor, though as Cosmic and Foggymountain have stated, I have managed to scorch the roof of my mouth a few times.

so as Foggymountain said, means you need to alternate, which means more pipes!

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

I like.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. rdavid

rdavid

Login to Send PM

One of my first pipes was a p-lip. Stupid me didn’t realize the draft hole was on top of the bit. Never have been much of a clencher (except my cobs) so I was unknowingly blocking the hole with my top lip.

Once I realized what I was doing wrong, I got used to it and now really like the p-lip. Looking hard at a Silver Army Mount in the p-lip.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple of p-lips and they smoke fine. I just find them to be UGLY.

Dot
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few P-lips and like them. They hang easily and I do not find the draft hole on top to burn the roof of my mouth. I have no issue, except it can be difficult to thread a pipe cleaner through. But once I figured out how to do that no issue.

But invariably when selecting a pipe for my next smoke I select a fishtail. I have no problem with a P-lip I just naturally prefer a fishtail bit. They are a interesting change up.

YMMV.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no issue, except it can be difficult to thread a pipe cleaner through. But once I figured out how to do that no issue.

How do you thread a pipe cleaner thru a P-Lip stem? That is why I never bought a pipe with a P-Lip stem.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

P-lip with the system is how its meant to be, when I have the opportunity to choose I will go p-lip every time. Now the kicker is they have been not doing p-lips right in the past 10 years or so -the stems have gotten fatter, this was pointed out to Laudisi recently and from what I understand they are going to be making a change.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm definitely a fan, but only of the vulcanite stems. I love them for a change of pace. At a club-type event, where I'll be smoking all day, I definitely pack one or two for use later in the day (like tomorrow, at the Boswells event).

Al

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. transpose

transpose

Login to Send PM

First impression? I thought it looked like a “Johnson”.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

i was smoking plip again yesterday. i really like it. one thing i noticed was that i don't get any one spot in the mouth that gets concentrated smoke. guess my mouth roof isn't all that sensitive. it was like getting smoke without really getting smoke. today, used fishtail. fishtail was definitely more harsh to me. but i can see they both have pro and con. with fishtail, i felt i had more control of where and how strong i was pulling. with plip, it was very mellow and didn't have one focued area getting smoke, but felt like i didn't have much control as to where i'm pointing the draft hole.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Yeah, it's a little disconcerting to me, that...

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, it's a little disconcerting to me, that...

Now, now, gentlemen...Where did inclusive, acceptance and tolerance go?

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. seanv

seanv

Login to Send PM

How do you thread a pipe cleaner thru a P-Lip stem? That is why I never bought a pipe with a P-Lip stem.

I buy the smaller pipe cleaners and they are able to fit in the hole. you will never fit a regular sized pipe cleaner in a p lip.
    Smoking a p lip pipe takes some practice. It forces me to slow down my cadence and that is a good thing sometimes. When the mood strikes for me to grab one of the p lip Pete's i try to smoke a few bowls in it

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ray47, I use "normal" size, not fluffy or tappered. I remove the stem and I insert into the draft hole at the mouth side. With pressure and twisting the pipe cleaner clockwise, although counter clockwise would work I suspect I just have never tried, the pipe cleaner will go through. Once getting the cleaner through the bend it gets easier. If you buy the Churchwarden normal thickness cleaners you can clean the stem with one cleaner using the extra length. Means I do not have to thread two or three cleaners through the stem but instead just just one loooong one lol.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like a "Johnson." Now that's a real corker!

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Johnson Pee Lip. Hate the things.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  27. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Now, now, gentlemen...Where did inclusive, acceptance and tolerance go?

In someone *else's* mouth tyvm.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In someone *else's* mouth tyvm

Too funny

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gross!

Not to worry. Diminutive size of one's parts does not make one less of a man. At least by that alone.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   peanubutter, woodsroad, elpfeife, scloyd, wannabe, captaincalabash, npod, trudger, ashdigger, dottiewarden, johnbarleycorn, rdavid, davet, olkofri, snagstangl, skeeter456, verporchting