PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Some time ago, I picked up a variety of LJP tobaccos from a forum member. Included were two units of this Thanksgiving Blend.
I decided to wax nostalgic and save this until November. So, we are here.
I have to begin by saying that I generally avoid tobaccos characterized as aromatic. I do flex a bit, smoking rum doused navy stuff and some PS LTF. But, overall, not my forte.
The Thanksgiving Blend is pressed into a 4 ounce bar. It looks and smells like something you could eat. I got a "tin" note somewhere between fruit cake and chocolate.
ljp1-600x450.jpg

HERE'S an interesting bit of lore and history from LJ Peretti. Virginia and burley flavored with fruit juices and rum.
It smells deep and earthy and slightly sweet. Mine is a few years old (2 or 3, if I recall) and the cello wrapped cake was also inside a vacuum sealed textured bag from the forum seller.
ljp2-600x450.jpg

The cake was intact and at a perfect moisture level. No goopiness about it, that I could tell. I began getting a bit excited. It crumbled into perfect bits with three fingers and little pressure. It WANTED to be incinerated.
I chose the MM Cob that I've been using for Semois. Broken in and somewhat neutral.
ljp3-600x450.jpg

Chocolate covered cherries came to mind, at first. However, that would be too simplistic a descriptor. The Virginia sweetness interplays with the fruit juice and the burleys add the complimentary cocoa tones and the rum, though I can't pull it out of the line-up, I suspect is adding the 3rd dimensional influence to the whole shebang.
In fact, I think I CAN sense the rum, if you imagine one of those island drinks in the tulip shaped glass, with all kinds of weird stuff sticking out of the top... Well, the tobacco is NOT like that drink, but the rum is a subliminal influence, just like in those sort of drinks.
It burns slow and smooth and, for me, a few relights. I have coffee, an IPA and water on the side, for some reason. The coffee pairs well.
It's satisfying and comfortable. Interesting without being exciting. It is indeed, turkey, stuffing, cranberries and pumpkin pie.
It appears that LJP sold out in 3 days, unless they have another batch in the press. So, mark your calendars for next year, the 80th year of production.
Verdict: GET SOME!
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'tango sent me most of a package, and I've been enjoying it for about two years as an occasional smoke. I have enough left for the holiday. It's comforting and homey, with a nice note for those around you.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I must post a correction.
Another member just posted a link in another thread showing this still in stock. I guess I was looking in the wrong place.
So get it while you can!
https://www.ljperetti.com/thanksgiving-day-4-oz-cake.html
jay-roger.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I ordered some last Friday. Looking forward to it. Thanks for posting your review.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I just got mine yesterday. I’m saving it for Thanksgiving, but am enjoying the Tashkent, Boston Slices, and RCTR I purchased immensely.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
A first rate Aromatic.Worth getting their website and ordering.I have some of their Holiday mixture from 2017.iI think this was for Christmas,and is buried in my stash somewhere.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I’ve been enjoying the LJP Thanksgiving Day for the last couple of days. It’s pretty consistent from year to year. A very enjoyable autumn blend for me.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
Just smoked some of this in my aro dedicated newer Kaywoodie bent Billiard. I like it. I like it a lot. It burns extremely cool and the flavor was initiated good but as I worked through the bowl I got many different flavors: the burley cocoa essence, a bit of spice (cinnamon maybe?) and citrus. Almost a savory dessert.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find it equally good between holidays. It's a good mild summer smoke when you need a tobacco forward aromatic with a lot of class.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
Years ago when i started smoking cigars i would order by phone and stop by to pick up the order while visiting Boston. I must say every single time the service was absolutely horrible. I dont know who the individual was on the phone he was just plain rude. Not sure if this was just a disgruntled employee but i have not gone back in over 5 years now as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.