PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A few weeks ago, I scored the tiny "birth year" Dunhill, shape 90 poker, group 2 size.
I stuffed a Bold Kentucky flake in it one day and some Tilbury ribbon on another day. Both did okay.
I recently got my P&C bulk sale purchase in, which included several ounces of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co's Kendal Dark.
Reading the reviews for this tobacco, it was evident that a small chamber would serve me well. Since the two previous smokes in the Dunhill were good, but not great, I pulled it in for the Kendal smoke. I think I have a great pairing here.
dunhill-kendal-600x320.jpg

The Kendal Dark is a shag of medium and light bits, a VaBur with Dark Fired Kentucky and air cured Virginias. This has become a recurring combination in blends that I really enjoy and I pay attention whenever I see a new offering of them.
The "tin" note is dark and earthy, reminding me of the Gauloises RYO pouches I used to get 20 years ago. Any Lakeland present manifests maybe as a tad of sweetness, but no doily packing granny essences made it to my nose or tongue.
It's a 2-dimensional tobacco, not really any hidden nuances to uproot. Dark, earthy, just slightly sweet and spicy. What you taste after the char is what you get.
It burns in an even, controlled fashion. Whereas the two previous smokes had the little poker taking a thermal "time out", I can work my way slowly down the chamber of Kendal Dark without discomfort or interruption.
Forty minutes later, I approach the bottom, finally getting a little more than warm and quite dry with one relight. Dottle was all but nonexistent.
The reduced load delivers a nic hit greater than its size, but manageable. Pleasant, in fact. Good for when you want your fix without spending an hour to get there. A 2/3 fill would give most a satisfying smoke in under a half hour.
A slight fruity undertone is left on the tongue after the last ember expires, reminding you that life is good.
Verdict: GET SOME!
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.